18's or 17's, & wider tire in rear for road race?

STANGateURlilSS said:
road racing is about balance.. if you look at most serious road race cars.. lets take an american iron series car for instance.. they all run 275/40/17s in ai at all 4 corners and for the aix guys.. they all run 315/35/17s at all 4 corners..
according to the rules they can't exceed 17's anyway, well atleast in AI, don't know about extreme ruling though :shrug:
STANGateURlilSS said:
now if you get real serious you can run a 315/35/17 up front with some front fender modification..
some? i'd love to see pics of that (on a sn-95) have any? that's gotta be a tight offset

Joe 5.0 said:
And whoever has a friend who blew up their rear end with 315 drags without more than 250rwhp, they had something wrong with their driving or their car. I have pulled 1.8 60's and launched at redline on my 315 nitto's literally hundreds of times with no ill effects to the rear end. Its never been rebuilt either. Plus I have a 5L, which makes way more tq until 3k rpm than most NA 2V.
It's happens more than you think, mostly hear of stock cobra's doing it.

• Sponsors (?)

Like CdnNavybob said, if you plan on getting R compound tires and regularly open tracking go with 17"s. I went with 17" just for the money reason. American Iron cars seem to handle just fine with 17"s. Go to Tirerack and price the difference between 17" and 18" R compound tires. It's a big difference!! Unless you decide on going to a 14" brake kit, 17"s are fine for 13" brakes. But, if money is no option like it is for me, go with 18"s.