1965 Mustang Problems

Hey guys, i got a 1965 Mustang with a remanufactured 351W. It has a Holley Street Avenger 670 cfm carb, which has been acting up on us lately, esp. when u make a sharp turn it dies, or goin down a hill. Also just keeping it up to quota, for daily driving has not been easy. Friends ive talked to, hav said to go to a 750 Edelbrock Carb, for daily driving. Second, i have a 1969 FMX tranny in it, and when we were building the motor, the torque converter sat for almost a year, and now the fluids have sludged up, throwing the balance out, and making it idle really bad, and the whole car shakes at around 2000 rpms. We are thinking about buying a TCI breakaway for it, and hoping that the stall isnt too big for it, being a daily driving car? Next we are wanting to change out the old radiator, and put in a 3 core aluminum champion radiator, with an electric fan. And after this, put in an electric water pump. Problem is, we cannot figure out a good match for it. Meizere, Moroso, or CSI??? The motor is mostly stock, 4 barrel carb, RV cam, 4 barrel intake with dual exhaust, heddman headers, 3.55 rear end. Really need some input on this, whether or not, an electric water pump would run well, since it is a daily driver, and also planned on putting a thermostat switch on it, with a relay. I have about 12 1/4 inches clearance from front of radiator to back of waterpump. Since we put a coil over front suspension on it, we have a little more clearance, than most. Also want to know what i have to do about the thermostat cover that connects to the waterput outlet? Do i put a restrictor on it or what? Next we want to find an aftermarket shifter for it, like a B&M Megashifter, but they SAY it only fits a c4 or c6, any one who has the fmx setup?
Thanks guys, only in hs, so dont be too harsh about my knowledge and feedback.

• Sponsors (?)

The stalling around corners tells me the idle speed is too low. What are the specs on the "RV" cam in it? There are no solids, (or had BETTER NOT BE any!)
"solids" in the TC to get out of balance.
Do you have access to a vacuum gauge and a timing light? These are the tools you need to dial in an old car.....I can't offer any shifter advice. I have a 69 Cougar with a 351 W, that has a comp cam, 670 Holley, 2 inch exhaust, and 3.89 gears, and 3500 stall TC. The only thing it needs is an OD gear when I get out of town.

RE

I cant really tell you anything about the RV cam, mostly because we don't no anything about it. We think the duration is between 250-270? We bought it off ebay, from wholesale engines, if you type in 351W 390 HP Wholesale engines on google, it is the first one on the page. And we talked to a transmission tech, and a few people told us this, that if you leave the TC sitting around, with excess fluids that it will sludge up, and throw out the balance. We want to buy the TCI Breakaway, which is 2400-2600 rpm. We also are thinking about going with the Meziere WP311 electric water pump, with a champion aluminum radiator, and electric fan. Any one think we should swap out the old Holley 670 and go to a Edelbrock 750? And too woodsnake, yes we used a timing light to dial it in, and was right on the mark, but as of the vaccumm guage im not positive, i'd have to ask the old man.

Id look at geting a quick fuel Carb, they are making some pretty sweet stuff right now. For not that bad of pricing for what you get. Might look into changing the cam for something that you actually know what it is. even if its mild. If you want, you can spend money on a electric water pump, but honestly, a good mechanical one does just fine, especially for what your doing with the car. Are you sure that the cam was setup right when installed? It could be off a tooth, then when you time it, it would be off. If your vacuum is bad, it could be a gasket. Hard to tell through the net.

RE... HELPPPP

alright, il have to check into that. My dad had a 65 stang wit a 351W, both daily driven and full race car, but he had a 2 barrel carb on it, and it ran like a top, better gas, but not as much fuel flow, we actually have a 2 barrel carb and intake sitting in the garage, and we might hook it up, and see how it runs. And about the cam, when we bought the motor from wholesale engines off of ebay, we got an UPGRADE CAM, and all they really told us was that it was an RV cam, no specs or nothing. As much as i'd like to put a bigger cam in it, i doubt thatd go good wit my dad, mostly because we just put it all together, and now we'd have to take the motor back out, and it was a pain in the ass, jus getting to where we are now with it. Also about the waterpump, i talked to a tech guy from meziere and he basically said the same thing, except if i combine it with a new radiator and electric fan, then it would not only help cool the engine down alot, especially becase how much i plan on driving it for a daily car, but also help free some hp, and a few mpg better. I really need as much help as i can get, and soon, so i can get it running right so i can drive it, thanks

Again, there are no solids to " develop " in a torque converter. What would they be made from?? Transmission fluid is like the thinnest fluid in a car, other than gasoline.

As far as the vacuum gauge, that is one of the most important tools you can have for a carbed engine. Period.
What is the idle speed?
Where is the timing set?
We wall on the board want to see and hear the car running, nobody here will intentionally steer you wrong.
Lets get the engine dialed in, then worry about swapping out the rest of the car.....

Have you checked for vacuum leaks on the engine?

RE

Ya thats the engine we bought, and yes i have all the paper work. But i dont know all the timing and everything off the top of my head, il have to check with my dad, and il get back to you as soon as possible. And by the way, any good mechanics who know alot about holley carbs, 351W, or FMX trannys in the Wildwood/Eureka area? Let me no, thanks. Needing to get this car up and going right.