1966 Mustang Questions

• Sponsors (?)

it more than sucks ,i cant reply to any thread but this one so here it goes this post is for
hipobuzz, i dont believe putting money in to the hobby is stupid for if it is
were all raving lunaticts , i see no problem with conversions if they are done
as well as yours is ,some of the custome work i see may be good for some and not
others. good boddies are getting hard to come by ,in my oppinion conversions are going to be the next thing ,do what makes you feel good dont worry about the rest, i am all for it.
sorry about treading on your thread whammo but i cant post any were else, dont know
what is going on. just had to get that out there

In regards to your stereo question, the cougar guys are big on getting the guts removed and replaced with modern stuff. There are also the "custom auto sound" shaft style radio's, but I haven't heard a lot of good internet buzz about them.
For my money, I will make a DIN style unit work. The sound quality is just so much better...

"Next question.... for safety sake, I want to convert our stang to have an over the shoulder seat belt system rather than just the lap belt system. I am guessing that there is more than one manufacturer/system for the car. I can research the net all day long, but all manufacturers like to toot their own horn. I am more interested in hearing what others have done/used and what their opinions are.

I have a question for y'all about headers.... do you know of a good brand out there that you don't have to freaken tweek and tighten every few months? I have had bad experiences with headers in that regards. I would like the extra fuel mileage and power, just don't wanna be ducking under the hood every other month working on the dang things!!! THAT SUCKS!

Also, from everyone's experiences, what spark plugs give you the very best power/fuel mileage for the 200ci? My biggest concern, honestly, is sipping out all of the fuel mileage outta this baby that I can get. So any tips on that would be greatly appreciated. Since my daughter will be driving it, I am not really as concerned with hp as I am with mpg. Maybe it has something to do with the high freakin price of gas now days, ya think??? lol"

Safety belts....there are a few vendors out there that do 3 point belts. One of the keys is the seats. Early Mustang seats do not have a locking seat back. That is not good. I would not consider 3-point belts in an early car. 4-point belts, absolutely, with the right seats (I have Fiero seats that lock) and a proper mounting point. For safety's sake, though, before I'd put in 3-point belts I'd put in a collapsible steering column.

Headers....if you're not one of those "all out for performance" types, the reproduction HiPo cast iron manifolds give up just a little torque to headers but are quieter, pretty much maintenance-free and better at keeping underhood temps down. Also no issues with ground clearance, power steering brackets or clutch Z-bars.

Spark Plus... I run Bosch Platinum +4's, but I would think Motorcraft Platinum would be just fine. What WOULD help the ignition system is a Petronix or similar igniter, better coil, and eliminating the resistance wire to the coil to get battery voltage there. an MSD (multiple spark discharge) box would help too.

Last mileage comment.... reduce rolling resistance. Synthetic lubricants, good tires, alignment, etc. Aerodynamics only a factor over 45-50mph, but a modest spoiler (nothing huge) or a partial bellypan to smooth airflow underneath would also make sense.

it more than sucks ,i cant reply to any thread but this one so here it goes this post is for
hipobuzz, i dont believe putting money in to the hobby is stupid for if it is
were all raving lunaticts , i see no problem with conversions if they are done
as well as yours is ,some of the custome work i see may be good for some and not
others. good boddies are getting hard to come by ,in my oppinion conversions are going to be the next thing ,do what makes you feel good dont worry about the rest, i am all for it.
sorry about treading on your thread whammo but i cant post any were else, dont know
what is going on. just had to get that out there

Did you figure out your problem? Well, at least you can post on my thread lol!

In regards to your stereo question, the cougar guys are big on getting the guts removed and replaced with modern stuff. There are also the "custom auto sound" shaft style radio's, but I haven't heard a lot of good internet buzz about them.
For my money, I will make a DIN style unit work. The sound quality is just so much better...

Good info, thanks!

"Next question.... for safety sake, I want to convert our stang to have an over the shoulder seat belt system rather than just the lap belt system. I am guessing that there is more than one manufacturer/system for the car. I can research the net all day long, but all manufacturers like to toot their own horn. I am more interested in hearing what others have done/used and what their opinions are.

I have a question for y'all about headers.... do you know of a good brand out there that you don't have to freaken tweek and tighten every few months? I have had bad experiences with headers in that regards. I would like the extra fuel mileage and power, just don't wanna be ducking under the hood every other month working on the dang things!!! THAT SUCKS!

Also, from everyone's experiences, what spark plugs give you the very best power/fuel mileage for the 200ci? My biggest concern, honestly, is sipping out all of the fuel mileage outta this baby that I can get. So any tips on that would be greatly appreciated. Since my daughter will be driving it, I am not really as concerned with hp as I am with mpg. Maybe it has something to do with the high freakin price of gas now days, ya think??? lol"

Safety belts....there are a few vendors out there that do 3 point belts. One of the keys is the seats. Early Mustang seats do not have a locking seat back. That is not good. I would not consider 3-point belts in an early car. 4-point belts, absolutely, with the right seats (I have Fiero seats that lock) and a proper mounting point. For safety's sake, though, before I'd put in 3-point belts I'd put in a collapsible steering column.

Headers....if you're not one of those "all out for performance" types, the reproduction HiPo cast iron manifolds give up just a little torque to headers but are quieter, pretty much maintenance-free and better at keeping underhood temps down. Also no issues with ground clearance, power steering brackets or clutch Z-bars.

Spark Plus... I run Bosch Platinum +4's, but I would think Motorcraft Platinum would be just fine. What WOULD help the ignition system is a Petronix or similar igniter, better coil, and eliminating the resistance wire to the coil to get battery voltage there. an MSD (multiple spark discharge) box would help too.

Last mileage comment.... reduce rolling resistance. Synthetic lubricants, good tires, alignment, etc. Aerodynamics only a factor over 45-50mph, but a modest spoiler (nothing huge) or a partial bellypan to smooth airflow underneath would also make sense.

Ok, call me stupid, but why does the seat need to be locking?

As far as headers... The original are not damaged. So not looking to replace for that reason. Not looking for HP either. Just thought that if there was one out there that wasn't high maintenance but would add mpg it might be worth it. ;)

Good info on the ignition system there. Will check that out!

On the spoiler, are you talking front or rear? Or both?

i put a header on a 66 coupe with a 6 a few years ago for a friend ,i think it was a hooker split header ,ran 3 out the right and 3 out the left with flowmasters .sounded real good at an idle almost swear it was a v8 till you steped on the gass then it sounded like one of our ranger race trucks and about that loud it did improve performance ,if it had a quieter muffler i think it would have sounded real nice and they were very nice headers wouldnt have a prob using them again

Does your friend still own this car? I would be curious how he ended up liking them and if they turned out to be pretty trouble-free or a pain in the a$$

Good to hear you are back up and running. Sorry to hear you had the big ole crash tho.....

Has anyone tried the LED tail lights? If so, like them or no? Seem cool, just dunno if they are worth that much $$$$.

So if the original Mustang seats aren't good with a 3-point seatbelt..... what is a good replacement seat? What have others of you used? I have to say, that really sucks. The seats in this car look like new. I hate the idea of having to take them out and replace them. Means having to find different seats, make the mods to make them bolt in, and THEN have them covered to match the rest of the interior. Ugh! I really do hate relying on just a lap belt tho, especially since my daughter will be driving it.

If I have to change, I think I want a high-back seat. Just not sure what to use..... :confused:

sorry about that, i am up and running again .still dont know what happend it was somthing to do with my stangnet connection it healed its selfe, make sure you have a back up disk ,i lost every thing when my computer crashed, i am able to post again

I have a thumb drive that I use to back up my important stuff.... do it about once weekly..... ;)

Does your friend still own this car? I would be curious how he ended up liking them and if they turned out to be pretty trouble-free or a pain in the a$$

Good to hear you are back up and running. Sorry to hear you had the big ole crash tho.....
no the car was stolen ,striped and burnd ,we had a rash of classic car thefts some were around 6 or 7 cars stolen for some reason the dumb SOBs decided to burn his

I have a thumb drive that I use to back up my important stuff.... do it about once weekly..... ;)
yea going to have to get a couple flash drives ,dont want to go through that again
this is the second time ,think i would learn by now.

new avitar i see ,cool
Has anyone tried the LED tail lights? If so, like them or no? Seem cool, just dunno if they are worth that much $$$$.

So if the original Mustang seats aren't good with a 3-point seatbelt..... what is a good replacement seat? What have others of you used? I have to say, that really sucks. The seats in this car look like new. I hate the idea of having to take them out and replace them. Means having to find different seats, make the mods to make them bolt in, and THEN have them covered to match the rest of the interior. Ugh! I really do hate relying on just a lap belt tho, especially since my daughter will be driving it.

If I have to change, I think I want a high-back seat. Just not sure what to use..... :confused:
went to pick up some parts at stang aholics last week ,was looking at the seats in there yellow pro g car i think they are called pro car seats ,they looked nice thats what i am going to use in my 69 they have a track on them but i dont know if they were the origional ones or replacement they are high back and they lock in place

yea going to have to get a couple flash drives ,dont want to go through that again
this is the second time ,think i would learn by now.

new avitar i see ,cool

went to pick up some parts at stang aholics last week ,was looking at the seats in there yellow pro g car i think they are called pro car seats ,they looked nice thats what i am going to use in my 69 they have a track on them but i dont know if they were the origional ones or replacement they are high back and they lock in place

You talkin about these? http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SCA-80-1606-61L/

They aren't bad looking at all. Just not sure if I wanna go for the racing style. Of course, I am just now starting to consider the whole swap out so I got lots of lookin and thinkin to do. I will definitely keep those in mind. Decisions decisions...... lol

They aren't bad looking at all. Just not sure if I wanna go for the racing style. Of course, I am just now starting to consider the whole swap out so I got lots of lookin and thinkin to do. I will definitely keep those in mind. Decisions decisions...... lol
they have others that look more like a standard high back seat but they cost a lot more
because the lottery is not panning out, guess i will go the cheaper rout

Sorry for the delay. If you don't have locking seatbacks, you'll not only have your force against the shoulder belt, but the seat back as well, and if the seatback pivots like early Mustangs do, toward the center, you could end up with a shoulder harness around your neck or, more likely, a broken collarbone.

When I said "spoiler" I was talking about front. Nothing even all that visible, just enough to direct airflow out toward the sides. An air dam below the core support would probably work too.

PS: I scored a pair of '86 Fiero seats with headrest speakers for my '66. The backs lock and recline, just perfect for a 4-point harness.