1967 trunk springs

• Sponsors (?)

rsev216 said:
I threw mine away and replaced them with the gas filled lift cylinders....works great!:nice:

That sounds like a neat setup. Do you have any pictures of the gas cylinder installation? My Fastback is missing the hinge springs and I'm afraid those may be hard pieces to find. The gas cylinders would be a nice alternative if I can't find any springs.

eleanor_350 said:
That sounds like a neat setup. Do you have any pictures of the gas cylinder installation? My Fastback is missing the hinge springs and I'm afraid those may be hard pieces to find. The gas cylinders would be a nice alternative if I can't find any springs.

You can see just the tips of them in the trunk picture at my CarDomain site. I'll get installation pics and info posted in the next couple of days.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2251451

Gas Lift Details

buz19 said:
Thanks! Where can I find these cylinders if I go that way

Here you go.
You need 4 NAPA 735-1591 Lift Support Brackets (ball stud). The lifts attach to those.
The lifts I used are Steady Lift Gas Charged Lift Support PN 072-749 from Checker Auto.
There are a hundred different lift supports you can buy. Measure between your mounting points with the trunk full open to determine the maximum length you need. Do not use a Hood Lift support because it will have way too much lift power. These things are amazingly strong. If you use too big of one the trunk will shoot up and be very hard to close. The ones I used gently raise the deck lid and have no problem holding it open but still close with about the same force as the original springs. :nice:

Drill into the deck hinge on each side and install a ball stud as shown in the picture. On the bottom end, drill into the wheel well and install a ball stud. Then just slip the lift over the ball and secure the locking ring on the lift.

Attachments

• 11-3-06 Lift-s.jpg
    11-3-06 Lift-s.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 118