1970 Boss, Help me choose my wheels!

Which wheels? 17" minilites or 18" Newstalgia wheels?

• 17" Minilites

Votes: 17 56.7%
  • 18" Newstalgia GT's

Votes: 13 43.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I am at the point where I must choose the wheels for my car. I really do not like the polished, chrome, or all aluminum color look so I narrowed it down to these two. The dilemna is that the car has a Trans Am theme. TCP front coilovers, xbrace, six piston ft wilwood, real Bud Moore mini ram intake, ect..so I thought of 17" mini-lites. I really wanted an 18" wheel since 17" is nowadays like having a 15" ten years ago, but Mini lites do not come in 18", so I also found the second one pictured below. Let me know your thoughts.

I posted a pic of the car before the conversion was started to get your ideas flowing.

Attachments

• small side boss.JPG
    small side boss.JPG
    40.6 KB · Views: 720
  • Sponsors (?)

I think both wheels are very cool. But if your wheel choice is an image decision, then go with the 18"s I guess. However, if it's a performance decision, check the weight on each wheel and let that be the deciding factor.

IMHO, I dig the minilites more, plus they're a less common design, which means more unique. The other GT40/Cobra/Eleanor/Hailbrand style wheels are very popular and have become more common since there are so many companies producing copies (Edelbrock 454, Hailbrand, Coys, and several other companies).

Hope this helps...

I voted Minilites, but there's also the billet Magnum 500's that come in 17" or 18".

The Newstalgia would look better if you had some big Baer brakes all the way around, but what you have looks close to stock and the Minilites have more coverage than the Newstalgia wheels.

Minilites just look right. I doubt you'll have anyone say they don't like them, which I don't think they could say about the Newstalgias.

1320stang said:
I voted Minilites, but there's also the billet Magnum 500's that come in 17" or 18".

The Newstalgia would look better if you had some big Baer brakes all the way around, but what you have looks close to stock and the Minilites have more coverage than the Newstalgia wheels.

The pic of the car is before I modified it with six piston 13" wilwoods, front TCP, rear global west with , six spd richmond, yada yada yada...Its highly modified.

i voted for the mini-lites, since i suggested them in the first place. worst case buy both and if you don't like the mini-lites send 'em to me :D you can keep the other ones though, they are almost as common as TT II's now. i have yet to see a car running around here with mini-lites of any size on any car.

I voted for the Minilites in the poll. But I also suggest you check out the Team III models. There's the AC III, which is a GT-40/Hallibrand style available either "as cast," full polished, or half-polished (i.e., with the raised portions of the five spokes polished. Spinners or no spinners. Also, and option I've not seen with other such rims, is the nut cover cone, creating the illusion of a knock off. They're made to order, so you can get any size and width and backspace you want. The pic below is the as cast, spinner, nut cover version.

Also made by Team III are revivals of period-correct E*T models. The Gasser one is nice. Remember them? Also available in a full polished version.

Attachments

• gasser_ascast.gif
    gasser_ascast.gif
    61.7 KB · Views: 288
  • AC-3-17X8.jpg
    AC-3-17X8.jpg
    13 KB · Views: 765
180 Out said:
I voted for the Minilites in the poll. But I also suggest you check out the Team III models. There's the AC III, which is a GT-40/Hallibrand style available either "as cast," full polished, or half-polished (i.e., with the raised portions of the five spokes polished. Spinners or no spinners. Also, and option I've not seen with other such rims, is the nut cover cone, creating the illusion of a knock off. They're made to order, so you can get any size and width and backspace you want. The pic below is the as cast, spinner, nut cover version.

Also made by Team III are revivals of period-correct E*T models. The Gasser one is nice. Remember them? Also available in a full polished version.

haha. this is kind of funny. Team III actually makes the minilites too.

Minilites mate, in my opinion, and definitely on a classic stang, there is NO WAY 17s are like 15s years ago. 17s today are a nice size for cornering, while still having some give for suspension and drag traction. I think 17s on classic stangs can look too big, but the right ones work. 18s and up however are just for wank factor. Even on imports. They (18s) work on the new stang because the wheel arch is big enough to support the size.

Yeah, Team-III has become pretty popular in some circles because of their less common upsized vintage style wheels. They really fill a niche in the over-billet-ized aftermarket wheel world. I had been looking for 17" minilite style wheels for years and had given up when I suddenly found a guy over on pro-touring.com last year that had a set on his '69 Camaro. Nice wheels, but unfortunately too pricey for me. BTW, the Minilite company doesn't make upsized versions beyond 15" last time I checked (which was a while ago now...).

Oh, and...
jterry831 said:
I like the looks of the 18" billet magnums on the 69-70 fastback like the Air Ride Technologies mustang. I couldn't find a better picture so here is a link:
http://www.ridetech.com/techarticles/WR0183open.pdf
Here's the same car from before AirRide bought it: http://groups.msn.com/dbsmustang/othercoolmustangs.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=16