Status
Not open for further replies.
No Problem Scott,...anything I can do to keep you married for one more year, then my work goals are truly fulfilled.

I understand that you're a twenty something,.....so maybe this will have a little more impact.

When you consider that I've been married LONGER than you've been alive,...keeping up with the important things (like anniversaries) as well as the little ones are the guarantee to a truly happy marriage.
And don't sleep with loose women. Wife's hate that:scratch:

Reactions: 2 users
  • Sponsors (?)

Ah... My first post on this page.

I'll just leave this here.
As long as you want to carry that in your list of quotes,..who am I to stop you?:rolleyes:

Noobz,....it's not like I dropped that one liner and you saw it, grabbed it, and then smeared it on the wall before I could delete it, or change it. It was a willing submission to see what you'd do with the typical dork-ism's that people leave on the front porch like a flaming bag of dog doo.

It is what I wanted to say however. Once dubbed the Little japanese kid,..I do not intend to change it, nor will I settle for a Chinese version, regardless of how much cheaper I could've got him.
And I cant wait to strap the little bastard back there and just crank his ass up.

Well Dave,...you should be fully into bottle #1 of the brown moonshine that is Bookers,......How are we doing?
I just had one shot at work. I left that in my little fridge I have in my work area there. I offered a shot or two to unsuspecting people walking by my paint booth. I would just tell them it's a good bourbon.

That was fun.

When I get your bottle, that'll be the home stuff. It'll be entertaining to see my wife drink some of it. She hasn't really developed a taste for any whiskey. This should take care of that desire and then it'll be mine all mine!:stir:

Reactions: 4 users
I just had one shot at work. I left that in my little fridge I have in my work area there. I offered a shot or two to unsuspecting people walking by my paint booth. I would just tell them it's a good bourbon.

That was fun.

When I get your bottle, that'll be the home stuff. It'll be entertaining to see my wife drink some of it. She hasn't really developed a taste for any whiskey. This should take care of that desire and then it'll be mine all mine!:stir:
You must be an awesome person to work with. Imagine just walking past your work area, "hey! want to try a shot of some expensive bourbon?"

Employee of the century.

You must be an awesome person to work with. Imagine just walking past your work area, "hey! want to try a shot of some expensive bourbon?"

Employee of the century.
Makes me sound like a nice guy, huh? What I'm after is when they have to take in that first breath after shooting that 128 proof bourbon! I get to laugh and laugh!:rlaugh:

Reactions: 1 user
Makes me sound like a nice guy, huh? What I'm after is when they have to take in that first breath after shooting that 128 proof bourbon! I get to laugh and laugh!:rlaugh:
Years ago I was at a bar with some friends when I was stationed in Delaware. One guy found out my birthday was very close, and proceeded to buy me a few shots. I'll never forget the "Four Horsemen". :ack:

As long as you want to carry that in your list of quotes,..who am I to stop you?:rolleyes:

Noobz,....it's not like I dropped that one liner and you saw it, grabbed it, and then smeared it on the wall before I could delete it, or change it. It was a willing submission to see what you'd do with the typical dork-ism's that people leave on the front porch like a flaming bag of dog doo.

It is what I wanted to say however. Once dubbed the Little japanese kid,..I do not intend to change it, nor will I settle for a Chinese version, regardless of how much cheaper I could've got him.
And I cant wait to strap the little bastard back there and just crank his ass up.

Yes yes.... Doesn't change the fact that the initial reading made me LoL. Please carry on with whichever flavor pet you desire. :O_o:

@madmike1157 If the cowl cover must stay black, then I think you should carry the black back to edge of the cowl cover, and leave a little orange between the cover and windshield. Right now since the cowl cover is not as wide as the black on the hood, it just doesnt look quite right. As far as the moonshine talk, I am just a beer guy. I'll do a shot here and there for laughs, but dont drink the stuff.

image.jpeg

I think I dig this as much as I do the tail light panel. Almost don't wanna see a grille covering it lol

Hmmm,.....What to do,....what to do?:chin

I have still so much stuff in front of me, it's almost like being a kid in a candy store. I guess I can finish the front end, but that is gonna be a little more involved time wise than I may want.

I'm looking for instant gratification.

THE GRILLE:

The painted parts that have been hanging for months, labeled as "good to go" are not exactly good to go.

Several things are/maybe wrong with them, starting with the obvious:

#1. The grille surround, and the headlight bezels are only painted on the facing side. When mounted, you can see "unpainted" area.
The solution to that is to mask that area, and paint it satin black, as that is what the unpainted areas are butting up against.

Alot of nit-picky detail masking. :dammit:

#2. There is texture (orange peel) on some of those surfaces......Not so much on the front facing sides, but on the lesser horizontal spans around the headlights.

Anndd......The solution to that is some 2000 grit wet sanding and a little hand rubbing.

More nit-picky crap.

#3. I'm concerned that I may not have applied enough paint to the pieces.

Do I even have to say what the solution is here?

#4. It looks like there is a color mismatch from the rest of the car.

I'll know better when it's all out in the sun.

THE TAIL.

Somewhere in this garage is some more of those led strips that I ordered about 6 months ago when I made that center piece that goes between the tail lights. Right now, all I can find of them are 3 sections of white, and one piece of red. The original plan was to make it so that the word CYCLONE will serve two "masters of light", and I'd just stick rows of those strips in alternating order, so that I'd have it work as a tail light in running mode, and as a back up light (purely to satisfy the safety inspection when I attempt to license the car), when I stuff it in reverse.

( It's just a damn shame to have a $100.00 piece of laser cut aluminum that only works in reverse)

The problem is that it gets real crowded under that cover when I try that.

The option here is to make it either/or, not both, and be done with it. And the writing on the wall says that I have enough white strips. So why not just do what it is that you need to do to satisfy the inspection and be done with it?

( Isn't this me we're talking about here?:shrug:)

The Duck tail is painted and ready, but those stupid assed triangle shaped stand offs..........I can't get them painted properly.

I sprayed them orange, and got a reaction. (texture like dirt in the paint). So, I wetsanded that texture off. (Then I exposed raw edges at the corners) So I brush painted a coat or orange back on. ( Then I got my reaction back.) So I wetsanded that smooth again, anndd guess what happens? The sharp edges reveal again.:doh:

Why can't there just be a rattle can solution here?

So,...either way I go today,..I'm gonna have to dick around for a long time for what will amount to a small reward at the end of the day.

Reactions: 5 users
Hmmm,.....What to do,....what to do?:chin

I have still so much stuff in front of me, it's almost like being a kid in a candy store. I guess I can finish the front end, but that is gonna be a little more involved time wise than I may want.

I'm looking for instant gratification.

THE GRILLE:

The painted parts that have been hanging for months, labeled as "good to go" are not exactly good to go.

Several things are/maybe wrong with them, starting with the obvious:

#1. The grille surround, and the headlight bezels are only painted on the facing side. When mounted, you can see "unpainted" area.
The solution to that is to mask that area, and paint it satin black, as that is what the unpainted areas are butting up against.

Alot of nit-picky detail masking. :dammit:

#2. There is texture (orange peel) on some of those surfaces......Not so much on the front facing sides, but on the lesser horizontal spans around the headlights.

Anndd......The solution to that is some 2000 grit wet sanding and a little hand rubbing.

More nit-picky crap.

#3. I'm concerned that I may not have applied enough paint to the pieces.

Do I even have to say what the solution is here?

#4. It looks like there is a color mismatch from the rest of the car.

I'll know better when it's all out in the sun.

THE TAIL.

Somewhere in this garage is some more of those led strips that I ordered about 6 months ago when I made that center piece that goes between the tail lights. Right now, all I can find of them are 3 sections of white, and one piece of red. The original plan was to make it so that the word CYCLONE will serve two "masters of light", and I'd just stick rows of those strips in alternating order, so that I'd have it work as a tail light in running mode, and as a back up light (purely to satisfy the safety inspection when I attempt to license the car), when I stuff it in reverse.

( It's just a damn shame to have a $100.00 piece of laser cut aluminum that only works in reverse)

The problem is that it gets real crowded under that cover when I try that.

The option here is to make it either/or, not both, and be done with it. And the writing on the wall says that I have enough white strips. So why not just do what it is that you need to do to satisfy the inspection and be done with it?

( Isn't this me we're talking about here?:shrug:)

The Duck tail is painted and ready, but those stupid assed triangle shaped stand offs..........I can't get them painted properly.

I sprayed them orange, and got a reaction. (texture like dirt in the paint). So, I wetsanded that texture off. (Then I exposed raw edges at the corners) So I brush painted a coat or orange back on. ( Then I got my reaction back.) So I wetsanded that smooth again, anndd guess what happens? The sharp edges reveal again.:doh:

Why can't there just be a rattle can solution here?

So,...either way I go today,..I'm gonna have to dick around for a long time for what will amount to a small reward at the end of the day.
The paint is lifting Mike. That just means the new paint is causing the underlying paint to liquefy again and loose it's adhesion to the surface. And like when a sponge gets wet, the old paint swells up and gives you a wrinkled appearing surface.

Solution, stripping the parts all the way down and starting over would be the best way. The pieces are small enough that it shouldn't be much of a problem to make them smooth. You really could use a mini paint gun right now. Way less pressure, less overspray, less dirt lifted in the air.

It would be handy for your grille area pieces as well.

I have two mini guns, I can send you one for you to use to take care of those small parts if you want. Only one trick, I want it back when you're done. Let me know. it'll only take a couple days to get to you.

The paint is lifting Mike. That just means the new paint is causing the underlying paint to liquefy again and loose it's adhesion to the surface. And like when a sponge gets wet, the old paint swells up and gives you a wrinkled appearing surface.

Solution, stripping the parts all the way down and starting over would be the best way. The pieces are small enough that it shouldn't be much of a problem to make them smooth. You really could use a mini paint gun right now. Way less pressure, less overspray, less dirt lifted in the air.

It would be handy for your grille area pieces as well.

I have two mini guns, I can send you one for you to use to take care of those small parts if you want. Only one trick, I want it back when you're done. Let me know. it'll only take a couple days to get to you.

I'm always conflicted when I get a reply from you...

First I'm dreading it because I know that you're gonna tell me that I gotta start over on something that I just want to be done.

Second I'm appreciative, because you offer to do stuff for free, or lend me stuff of yours.

I have two small touch up guns already. I don't know how much smaller a "Mini-Gun" is than that but if it's anything like this:

Send that btch!

Reactions: 5 users
I'll post a picture of mine in the morning next to my regular paint gun that you've seen.

That other mini gun would have run out of ammo if used based on emotion by now, huh? I'm pretty sure there would have been a couple hoods that would have had more than gills to let out the engine heat!

Reactions: 2 users
image-jpeg.563716.jpg

It's not too late for machine guns. :O_o:

...and the cut-outs?

.............^^^^^^^^^^^ there and .........................................................^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ there?

Missile launchers. :rock:

maxresdefault.jpg

Juss sayin' :spot:

Reactions: 4 users
I didn't know what I would actually accomplish today. With so much detail stuff in front of me,..I was hoping to either get the front facade complete, or the rear, but didn't think I'd get both.

The rear needed the LED strips laid out and wired in. then the center piece needed sanding, and re-clear coated. Obviously I was lax in my prep last time, and rust started to show back on the metal pieces.
The duck tail needed sanding, and another topcoat added to hide a scratch in the aluminum that was showing through. The (4) triangular mounts just wouldn't accept paint w/o trash getting in my way, so every time I added paint to them, I needed to wetsand the junk out. When I did that, I cut through the sharp edges. It became a vicious circle.

The front head light bezels appear to be a different color, and they too had orange peel on some of the horizontal surfaces. You could also see unpainted areas that would be visible once mounted. The grille was cracked, dirty, and un-painted, and the surround shared similar issues that the headlight bezels had.

I needed paint, bulbs and some screws.

So I had alot to do one way or the other.

I started on the rear.

2D757953-91FA-4335-9218-BEAE09DCB37E_zpsdukkhn8p.jpg

There are (3) strips of red, and (3) strips of white alternately. When in run mode, they will serve as an extension of the tails. When in reverse, the white LEDS will illuminate. What I didn't consider was what will happen at night,........they'll both be on in reverse. I really don't even care about B/U lights,......I only need to get the thing safety inspected in order to get it licensed, since it comes from Arizona. That inspection will be during the day, and the inspection itself is a joke. They ask me to turn on the lights, high beams, turn signals, hit the brakes, honk the horn, turn on the wipers, and put it in reverse to illuminate the B/U lights....I'll have every single point covered........IF,...he lets me turn off the lights before I put it in reverse.

Once those strips were set, I installed the centerpiece. Then the duck tail.

53B1DEDA-E6C5-4094-9B3F-02EA1736F8E7_zpsca0us9ra.jpg

C891767C-3018-4E57-8E3F-B34689842399_zps2gjeheox.jpg

I added my trunk latch, wired in my remote release, and shut that dude. Worked like I planned it that way.

Then started messing with the stuff in the front.

After looking at it,...I think I don't like the orange trim surrounding the black pieces on the front end. These cars are built so poorly, the gaps are over exaggerated when there is orange, then a gap, then orange to point that out.

63072275-1FE2-43C4-BE3A-7E2CEF25E944_zpsgheiwem2.jpg

I Built a filler strip to match the ones that are built into the fenders that will completely close the gap at the bottom, then I can move everything up 1/4" and reduced that gap on top. I just still have to prep and paint that filler strip orange. The option here is an entire black front end. The gaps will disappear then, simply by spraying everything the same color. What do you guys think?

For those that wondered what the blacked out T/S lenses would look like once illuminated, here is the evidence... I'm happy with the way they look.

D81B9C46-AF94-4A80-AA5E-C10B93F5BA4B_zpsmvxrpt0a.jpg

These are called angel eyes. two leds at the top and bottom of the lense, with a plexi tube running around the inside perimeter to diffuse the light around.

So,...I got a bunch done. I'm about dead, but pretty happy with that rear end. The front,...........I'm thinking more black paint is in order.

Reactions: 12 users
I like the way it looks right now Mike. Good job again.

I've been giving consideration to the bourbon situation. If you really want to send it to me, you can do like is done on eBay. You send me the "collector's" bottle and state the contents are incidental to the collectability of the bottle and box it comes in.

I got some 21 year old Chivas Regal that way.

I only tell you this Mike because I truly admired the bottle you had at your house, I hardly noticed any liquids inside of it at all.;)

Status
Not open for further replies.