Status
Not open for further replies.
Believe me when I tell you that I'd much rather get it right the first time.

And to think..... all of this, while maintaining my status/image as a prick/assholio at the same time.
Who'd of thunk it... A dickhead w/ a sense of humor.

It all comes down to what I see when I read some (not all) of the other threads.

** insert your most monotonous, monotone here, and read slowly**

"Here is a pic of my shock,...here is a pic of my spindle,.....here is a pic of my spring"

Or conversely, the shotgun approach:

"Here are a bunch of pics,.....enjoy"

What.....The.....F**k?:doh:

I write the updates the way I do mostly because it entertains me (I think I'm funny). It seems to me that I may as well make it an interesting read if it takes me AN ENTIRE WEEK to build an exhaust tip. The self deprecating part is just normal stuff for me,...if it takes me 6 times to get it right, I'm not one to say that I got it right the first time.

At the same time, that doesn't obscure the fact that I'm always right everywhere else.:pirate:
Damn Mike, are my posts that boring? I try to spice them up with the funny little smiley characters. :jester:

• Sponsors (?)

Damn Mike, are my posts that boring? I try to spice them up with the funny little smiley characters. :jester:

Craig, if you were the one I was talking about, you'd know it. Matter of fact, I don't think I'm even talking about this entire website. I think most of the people here at least talk about what they are doing/have done, and the stuff they had to go through to get it there.

Reactions: 1 user
I saw a guy and his '79ish Camaro today, with no hood and rear wheels/tires sticking several inches out from the fenders, and he was sporting a mullet (this is a true story, btw). And it reminded me of you. How is that Monte Carlo styled spoiler coming along?

I saw a guy and his '79ish Camaro today, with no hood and rear wheels/tires sticking several inches out from the fenders, and he was sporting a mullet (this is a true story, btw). And it reminded me of you. How is that Monte Carlo styled spoiler coming along?
Anddd.....he would be in Iowa???

I rest my case. Des Moines....... Where hood less Camaro's w/ redneck pilots continue to exist.

I'm presently working on the G hole, the spoiler was the one recent mod that turned out perfectly the first time. The only thing left to do with that thing is to finish fabricating the mounts.

I'm in a stupid training seminar that'll last through Friday. The next day to work is Saturday, where the goal will be to finish that, get it mounted, and move back up front to start on the other Gila Nostril.

Reactions: 1 users
Stupid home security certification classes. The really stupid part about that is I don't sell or install home security.
That qualifies you to become a high priced consultant to advise those whose home security system failed to detect the last break-in... You can legally steal their money without taking any of their property. :LOL:

This was a CLASSIC "do it twice Mike" weekend.

Maybe a month ago, I bought a new gas tank and set about modifying that thing as an alternative to the ground draggin', dropped sump piece that was currently in place. I decided to run a -8 out the side of the tank and have it exit behind the rear passenger tire. I installed a tube type fuel sender as opposed to the "not registering properly" conventional unit in the current tank. I relocated the pump assembly from the rear, to in front of the tank because I wanted to use that space for the Gila hole exhaust tip that I made.

I did all of that a few weeks ago. I haven't thought twice about it after that.

On Saturday, I spent the day trying to get the G hole paint ready. That basically meant several hours of priming, and blocking trying to get it flat, and smooth.

On one hand, you might be asking yourself "why is he obsessing over what will essentially be just a plain ol' exhaust tip"?

I asked myself that question numerous times as I went through the process.

My justification was that it would draw attention to itself because of it's very nature. After all,...it's not everyday that you see this trapezoid looking ding dang deal hanging beneath the bumper of a Fairmont. I didn't want to disappoint the naturally curious folks that will be wondering about "What the hell is that thang"? hanging back there by cheesing out, and not at least trying to make it look nice.
I have decided that it will be body color (Competition orange) after all, so that basically was a large portion of the day.

In between waiting on the primer to dry, I also spent way too much time cutting and grinding, then stripping and painting the invisible bumper brackets, and "welded closed" shock absorbers that the bumper mounts to.

34BFE26B-AD65-47F3-98C8-709DCA123B22_zpsrlwz1juk.jpg

This is what one of those ugly little suckers look like after hiding in the bumper for 35 years.

7BC220F6-FDEE-45C5-93FD-52A326EE2CC3_zpsjsjgubor.jpg

And after it had a session w/ Dr Plasma cutter.

The rest of the day Those parts, (brackets, shocks, bolts) took turns bathing in straight muriatic acid. By the end of the day, I had breathed so much of the fumes, I'm convinced that I now have some sort of brain damage. If I was younger, and was still in the child raising years, I'm sure that any future offspring I may have had would end up as little mutant C.H.U.D-lets as an additional side effect.

Fortunately, that part of my life is long behind me.

Despite the Drain Bamage, I'm confident that I'll not be adding any mutant sub creatures that will end up living in the Birmingham Sewer system, eating homeless people stupid enough to venture down there.

When all the parts were stripped, and were going through their own various stages of primer, and paint, I turned my attention to mounting the tank.

Didn't fit.

It hit the relocated pump bracket assy that was now firmly interfering w/ the tank, not allowing it to go far enough forward. It wasn't by much, but that didn't matter.......

It wouldn't fit.

I removed the bracket, and finished installing the tank. While I was looking at possible alternative locations to mount the pump assy, I started to look at to the side mounted -8 fitting that was supposed to be the fuel supply orifice.

FF3F940C-E649-42CB-970B-71B9DA67445A_zpsmehb2tce.jpg

How much consideration did I give to the location of this fitting when having to also consider possible road hazards ripping the fitting/hose out of the side of the tank, and causing a massive fire?

** For those of you reading along at home, touch the tip of your first finger to the tip of your thumb to get the answer to the above question.

View attachment 539936

Maybe I should just do this instead?

So,.......The pump assy, and now the -8 fitting that supplies that pump was relocated to the side of the tank, in the middle of the car, as opposed to the areas that were most likely to cause me future grief. The -8 fitting behind the tire has been capped.
1EB6B388-4837-4924-B358-AE7CDE09353E_zps4tvereua.jpg

I made a mini sump and welded that onto the tank, the bracket assy that holds the pump is bolted to the trunk floor. The -8 hose had to have the loop put in it to avoid a "really too tight turn" to get the supply into the first filter.

It'll work.

Now those modified bumper brackets, shocks, and bolts are all painted and reassembled. Did I think to take a "after" picture of that?.........Nope, and for the sake of any " what the hell is that"? I'll not show you the assembly inside the bumper, that is now bolted back in place,...but I will show you the G hole again ( I was laying on the creeper, at the end of the day, and I thought what the hell)

16C14D9A-3FFE-41F8-8D36-B3EAF1EFCD35_zpsle7umhli.jpg

I painted the grille, but that is as far as I'll go w/ it until we get closer to painting. Although you can't see it in the pic, the bottom of that thing is as flat as Kansas.That piece will be painted separately along w/ the rest of the monster pieces when that day comes.

Last edited:
The more I read here the more I realize that my futile attempts at fabrication and custom stuff is way beyond subpar...
Don't get me wrong I see all of it thru too completion but dang man every bit of the car is custom made.:hail2:

Thanks, but it's not completely by choice...........If I could buy Gila holes, gills, and nostrils from somewhere, I may consider doing that.

@madmike1157 I hate to break it to you, but I am afraid that this is the only "Gila Hole" I know anything about :O_o::ot:
View attachment 539981
Well,....now you know about the " other" Gila hole.:rolleyes:

That's okay, there's no such thing as Gila Gills on the real thing either, my Gila monster is the only one w/ those things on it on the entire planet.

Today I killed two birds w/ one stone. (Well,....I only killed one bird, but the other one will be just as dead, as soon as I go and pick up the rock that killed the first one.)

At the back of my hood, right about pinch weld area, I have rust through on both sides. My options here are to cut out the offending area, and patch it with a solid piece, or create a vent(s) to allow hot engine compartment air to escape. Your hood is zackly like mine in regard to the frame structure, so you can appreciate my thinking here. The hollow frame that runs around the perimeter of the hood makes for a perfect run channel for the hot air to find a path to get out. So, it's only natural (at least in my mind) that if I'm cutting out a section of the hood directly above that frame, I'm certainly NOT gonna cover it back up.

How it rusted there w/ it being an Arizona car is beyond me. If the little old lady that owned it for most of it's life was still alive, I'd have half a mind to dog her lazy ass for never having the good sense to wash the damn thing...
" Hey,... Grandma! See that building w/ the robot that shoots water out of it at the cars that are inside? Do yourself a favor and drive it in there once in a while before you die, and I end up cussing you postmortem for making me have to fix the rust that you allowed to fester":grumble:

I guess I told her....

Where was I?.......

Oh yeah,.... killing birds with rocks.

Today I set about cutting the area that was rusted. It really wasn't that big, and originally, I only intended to make a smallish cover for the actual area that was affected. But,....after thinking about it,....and looking....I decided to elongate the opening.
006A7196-97DF-4330-9F22-D89C616C782D_zpsre3fnsxi.jpg

Of course in doing that, it required that I fabricate a longer cover,..but I seem to have a buttload of the mesh, and that expensive assed 1/8 x 1/4" hot rolled steel that I used in the dash, so what the hell.

30DA1D9A-F4DF-4037-8EFC-3551538613C6_zpsfcqqc9tz.jpg

G vent, Curious onlooker. Curious onlooker, G vent.

The cover is just sitting there for the sake of the photo. I still gotta neutralize the rust that started to form in the frame, and prime it w/ something that wont stand out like a beacon visible through the mesh.

The really hard part of this whole procedure is welding that thing onto the hood. It needs to be tigged, And when it comes to tig welding something in the corner like where the frame meets the sheet metal, I SUCK!. Miserably. I'll do more damage trying to weld it than what can be salvaged.
Using the Mig will force me to ruin the sharp edge of the frame grinding the welds out of the corners. On one hand, I'm tempted to rivet that sucker on,...but blind rivets look tacky. Or I could find some sort of taper head sheet metal screw, and perimeter screw that dude onto the hood. It'd be similar to the way I fixed the frame onto the dash structure where I had to drill and tap a bagillion 4-40 holes. This time they'd be sheet metal screws, as there is no substrate to actually drill and tap beneath.
Lastly,....................I could always Epoxy that pig on there.

** In the key of Elton John singing Harmony**

JB and me,......we're pretty good company. I'll glue this thing on there, and if it stays put we'll see......
JB,... gee I really love ya, and I want you to last forever......
And dream of the never, never,...never failing JayyBee....

Status
Not open for further replies.