1982 Mustang 5.0 unusual wide body looks like a McLaren kit

This is as close as I could find. same body work with exception of the rear spoiler.

mustang11.jpg
Okay, that Enduro does have the front fascia like your field find. The Enduro I saw pics of had a different fascia on it.

I also saw something indicating the Mclarens to be 2.3t and the Enduro an 8-cyl.

Whoever had it before, definitely "messed" with it.

This might explain why we don't see the holes for the wing:

1710179873621.png

Could somebody have swapped a later model 5.0 into it? What year did Ford go to those cast aluminum valve covers? Is it a 2 or 4 barrel intake? Agree with you on the spoiler holes, but the rear quarters would have to be reworked also.

These guys may be able to help....

• Sponsors (?)

Okay, that Enduro does have the front fascia like your field find. The Enduro I saw pics of had a different fascia on it.

Could somebody have swapped a later model 5.0 into it? What year did Ford go to those cast aluminum valve covers? Is it a 2 or 4 barrel intake? Agree with you on the spoiler holes, but the rear quarters would have to be reworked also.

These guys may be able to help....
If we tell those guys, it will be "Gone in 60 Seconds". :O_o:

Would be cool if one of our dudes picked it up. PROGRESS THREAD!!!! :rock:

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users
Is this really a 1 of 3 car?????

EDIT: i think it means 3 prototypes built for actual racing. The "regular" cars probably had a standard drivetrain. I've seen "less than 250 made" but not sure how accurate that is.

Is this really a 1 of 3 car?????

EDIT: i think it means 3 prototypes built for actual racing. The "regular" cars probably had a standard drivetrain. I've seen "less than 250 made" but not sure how accurate that is.

I'm not so certain the total number of cars is accurate. I mean... Who really knows how many there were? :shrug:

Dealer Special Order (DSO) kits were available to convert a 'regular' Mustang hatchback to a look-alike M81. This is probably one of them.

Being a 1982 model it is not a (1980) M81. It is very unlikely it is an Enduro GT. Two of the three Enduro GTs are accounted for.

Check this thread on FEP: http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthread.php?193948-1982-GT-Enduro-DSO

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users