1986 fox rebuild questions?

Doesn't the 86 have flattop pistons that have minimal valve reliefs, and don't match up to most Cylinder Heads? - Maybe the GT40's will clear the pistons. Just want to clarify....

Your camshaft and rocker arm ratio will determine PTV clearance for the most part, not the cylinder head. As with any HCI setup, you will need to clay the pistons. Some clear flat tops/GT40 on the stock cam, some don't. If they don't, the valve relief tool is cheap and easy to use (your machine shop should have one as well). The overall point was that you are far better off just honing the bottom end and assembling with the stock cam and new bearings and putting that $$$ into a craigslist set of heads and intake manifold then worrying about machine work to the bottom end and a cam. If there isn't a scratch in a cylinder wall that catches your fingernail ask them to light hone and hot tank everything, reassemble.

• Sponsors (?)

Only overbore if necessary. Hone it if you can get away with it. .030" over will require new pistons and the rotating assembly to be rebalanced. You will not gain any horsepower with the overbore.

I'm sure some 18 year old UTI know it all on this site is just waiting to tee off on me on this one, so I'll head it off.

Assuming your engine was stock before and you overbore .020", here are your respective gains with the overbore rounded to two decimal places:
4.00 bore
3.00 stroke
301.59 CID
200 HP

304.62 CID
4.02 bore
3.00 stroke
202.01 HP

if you consider how easily stock blocks break, the 2HP and cost of new pistons isn't worth it to me to continue playing Russian Roulette.

to give you an idea of how restrictive the stock HCI is, here is a 347 stroker using stock E7, cam, intake
4.03 bore
3.30 stroke
346.95 CID
230.08 HP

If you figure maybe 200 of that gets to the rear tires on a good day, you begin to see where the real gains are when people are posting 300+ WHP stroker setups.

I'm sure some 18 year old UTI know it all on this site is just waiting to tee off on me on this one, so I'll head it off.

Assuming your engine was stock before and you overbore .020", here are your respective gains with the overbore rounded to two decimal places:
4.00 bore
3.00 stroke
301.59 CID
200 HP

304.62 CID
4.02 bore
3.00 stroke
202.01 HP

if you consider how easily stock blocks break, the 2HP and cost of new pistons isn't worth it to me to continue playing Russian Roulette.

to give you an idea of how restrictive the stock HCI is, here is a 347 stroker using stock E7, cam, intake
4.03 bore
3.30 stroke
346.95 CID
230.08 HP

If you figure maybe 200 of that gets to the rear tires on a good day, you begin to see where the real gains are when people are posting 300+ WHP stroker setups.

I follow all your points and logic...

Thanks for these stats....

if I must reuse my harness, the wires are brittle in some spots and cracking, wouldn't it be best to just save the connectors and redo all the wiring at that point. but then that's a time consuming task and time is something im limited to. where would be the best place to get a new harness? and 95pgttech i don't go to UTI, I go elsewhere; i don't know if you were referring to me and im not a know-it-all... if i was i wouldn't be asking questions lol. I found someone selling a rebuilt 87 with a t5 both in "great shape" with everything stock except a b303 and king cobra clutch for $800. He told me that the only thing that might go wrong is that the timing may be a little off but enough for it to run. if any of you thinks this is a good idea, it would most definitely save me time and probably rebuild money since my motor is all apart and missing things and my t5 needs rebuilding. Other than that, I may be able to salvage my dash for now, my harness i might need a new one, I want to convert to MAF so i'll need an a9l on a9p and a maf sensor of some sort, I want to get rid of a/c and smog ans soon ill need a new power steering setup

if I must reuse my harness, the wires are brittle in some spots and cracking, wouldn't it be best to just save the connectors and redo all the wiring at that point. but then that's a time consuming task and time is something im limited to. where would be the best place to get a new harness? and 95pgttech i don't go to UTI, I go elsewhere; i don't know if you were referring to me and im not a know-it-all... if i was i wouldn't be asking questions lol. I found someone selling a rebuilt 87 with a t5 both in "great shape" with everything stock except a b303 and king cobra clutch for $800. He told me that the only thing that might go wrong is that the timing may be a little off but enough for it to run. if any of you thinks this is a good idea, it would most definitely save me time and probably rebuild money since my motor is all apart and missing things and my t5 needs rebuilding. Other than that, I may be able to salvage my dash for now, my harness i might need a new one, I want to convert to MAF so i'll need an a9l on a9p and a maf sensor of some sort, I want to get rid of a/c and smog ans soon ill need a new power steering setup

First I would ask on here if the harness for cars up to the cutoffpoint for MAF would be a suitable donor - I don't think so because you have the 86GT and I know for sure the headlight parts of the harness are not the same. Maybe ther is a way to convert those parts???

On the engine: That IMO is a hard one to comment on. Generally I like to hear a used engine run before I buy, or at least get a guarantee that if it's crap they will refund. Most sale like this are NO RETURN. So consider that you may have to do work to it anyway.

MAF conversion is not that difficult. When you get to that stage, you will find tons of info on sites about the subject. There may be a better choice for computers to choice these days. I have the A9L, but i think I read there's better more current offereings. I have'nt converted yet so I may be looking to change directions on that part also...

B303 is certainly a great sounding cam in the fox. You can go to youtube and hear car with it installed... I was considering it just for the sound it produces thru the engine!! I'm not racing anyway.

Salvage the dash! You can find all the parts on LMR and other parts sites. I have a cluster bezel that I will be selling soon.

stay connected and just ask questions...

If you dont want to go to all that trouble you can go check this out input your info in and it will tell you what you will gain on horsepower or if it wont make any differnce.
This has saved me alot of headaches and searching looking for answers to " if it will work."
http://frootloopy118.blogspot.com/

SPAM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1. Paul's World of Today's Technology

frootloopy118.blogspot.com/
    Feb 3, 2013 – http://frootloopy.cfl814.hop.clickbank.net?w=48. Before you decide on your program you should take alook at this video. I have tried counting ...

2. Paul's World: Obama makes passing gun control measures a priority ...

frootloopy118.blogspot.com/.../obama-makes-passing-gun-control.ht...
    Dec 30, 2012 – http://frootloopy.surveys24.hop.clickbank.net. Feinstein declined to say on “Fox News Sunday” when she would introduce new legislation, but ...

3. Paul's World of Today's Technology: 2012-12-30

frootloopy118.blogspot.com/2012_12_30_archive.html
    Jan 1, 2013 – http://frootloopy.socialpaid.hop.clickbank.net. Posted by Paul Shepard at 3:24 AM No comments: · Email ThisBlogThis!Share to TwitterShare to ...

4. Paul's World: 2012-12-09

frootloopy118.blogspot.com/2012_12_09_archive.html
    Dec 14, 2012 – It's worth it. Check out Google Sniper 2.0 here - http://frootloopy.gsniper.hop.clickbank.net. Posted by Paul Shepard at 8:46 AM No comments: ...

5. Paul (frootloopy118) on Twitter

https://twitter.com/frootloopy118
    Hey be sure and check out my new post. http://frootloopy118.blogspot.com/ · Expand Collapse. Reply; RetweetedRetweet; Delete; FavoritedFavorite. More ...