1989 2.3 NA buildup...need some suggestions

prehall

May 30, 2004
well...i am going to put a Cold Air Intake on her. Probably go through and into the fender hole. but i have a pre 91 engine and i cant find any tech articles that tell me what to do in this situation...everyone wants them for dual plug systems...i feel lonely haha. so if you guys could point me in the right direction for that, it would be swell. also i am going to do an exhaust system...i was thinking going like 2.5 because 3 is too big for my four banger i think. Is the pacesetter a longtube or short? would it be just as good for my car to get the ranger header?i was also wondering about other upgrades (ie ignition, intake manifolds, etc, etc) what would be a)cost effective b) worthwhile for my car after exaust and intake. my two "brothers" have 5.0 mustangs and my other "brother" has a 305 camaro. whenever we go to the nearest city we always take their car because mine is embarassing and slow...please help me. Thanks guys!

• Sponsors (?)

I've learned thta by the time you spend the money on N/A mods, that you could buy a turbo motor and set that in the place of your N/A and still be decently quick stock. Then add your exhaust and intake, and add some boost, and a few other things, and you can hang or maybe even beat(depending on what mods you do and what they have) your "brother's" cars.

well...the thing is that im already paying out my ass in insurance...will that jack the price up?im just looking for something that will be better than a crx...plus the fact that my car is A4LD...not a good thing...my one brother has a 95 5.0 five speed then my other has a 94 5.0 auto...the camaro has a auto too...i just hate not being able to get out in traffic or pass anybody fast...and that look i get when people realize that i have a four cylinder mustang.. :nonono: i got beat by an explorer for christ sakes!

I think it depends on what tools you have and how much knowlege you have. If you are looking for N/A power, most of it is hidden in the head. Pull that head off and expect to put about 30 to 40 hours into it with the grinder. Port the crap out of it. Then take it to a machine shop and mill a lot off.. not too sure how much, but look into that. Then, definitely go with a long-tube header (yes, that's Pacesetter). Also, look for a cam from a 91-93 Mustang or a similar year of Ranger. They have a roller cam, which is slightly better than your stock slider cam. Or better yet, get an aftermarket cam. You can't go too big because you have the speed density setup, but still, you can improve over the stock cam.

svt's right, though.. turbo is the way to go for best bang for the buck. I did a turbo engine swap and my insurance is exactly the same. Who says you have to tell them what you did? :shrug: :D

Poke around in the scrapbook on my website if you want some pictures of my ported heads.