1990 7-Up Limited Edition 5.0 Convertible

I had a little help from the StangNet staff finding a couple of old threads on these Limited Edition Mustang Convertibles. These Emerald Green PA colored convertibles even have their own place in NADA's car value guides so they are even acknowledged by NADA as a limited production car.

I owned a 1989 GT Convertible for 8 of the last 9 years or so, and the same day I decided to give this GT Convertible to my 19 year old daughter I found my first 7-Up Convertible. It was listed on Ocala4sale.com as a 7-Up Convertible so I had to go look at it. I had heard about these cars for years but never knew what one was.

I went and looked at it and it wasn't bad, for the price, and I bought it. The former owner gave me a little bit of information about the car. Since the car was hit in the left front corner, and repaired, according to the former owner, Florida issued it a Rebuild Title because the car was considered totalled when the radiator support area in the left front corner met a point just behind the front of the left front fender.

The former owner fixed it with red parts so when I bought it I decided to look for a PA colored parts car. HAH! This was going to prove to be almost impossible.

I answered an ad on CraigsList Ocala (or maybe it was Gainesville) for a 1990 Mustang Convertible that was Hunter green with a white interior. I knew Hunter green was a later model color so I had to check it out. I was there the day the guy got back to me. It was too nice to use for parts, thus, I added 7-Up #2 to my collection. Now I figured I needed a parts car to use for both of the 7-Up Convertibles I had.

Paydirt! An ad surfaced on CraigsList Gainesville for an abandoned 1990 green convertible with white interior. I was there the next day, and, after researching Florida's website I found that a landlord can "dispose" of property left behind by a tenant if the landlord deems the property to be worth $500.00 or under. The landlord gave it to his friend because the car didn't run. The friend got it running and sold it for parts, to me. That is 7-Up #3.

Well, I almost bought a real nice 1968 Convertible recently but backed out when the seller was "jumping title" on a car he towed home to Florida from Tennessee. I passed that car up, but still look for other 7-Up Convertibles on the Florida CraigsList sites. I couldn't have gotten luckier about a week after I passed up the 1968. I found another one! What a beauty! 7-Up # 4 was brought in, behind my 1968 F-100, on a tow-dolly from Longwood Florida. I thank Jerry to this day for listing the car on CraigsList Orlando. This car is the best of the bunch. It shows 45,000 +/- miles on it (could be over 100,000, but). The car has an almost perfect interior in it. The car has the original Mustang part numbered mufflers hanging under it (with a few holes starting in them) and it also has an original Carlite convertible back window in what may be the second top (worn a bit, but nice) that the car has on it.

Now that I have started this thread about these cars, who else out there has one of these cars and how did you happen to come across your car?

I know there is a registry for these cars too, but that is a registry.

(edit) I'm a little obsessed with these cars, eh? I have classics too, but I like the 7-UP Convertibles(end edit)

• Sponsors (?)

I have one that was bought new in Jan. 1991. Over the years I've modified mine quite a bit, but use it sparingly. The engine has 20k while the body has 41K. It is on it's second top thought. (My wife used it as her D/D when new and used an ice scraper on the window and cut it by the rear glass. Only been in snow 1 year.) I started the original registry in 1991 and ran it until about 2005 when work commitments forced me to relinquish it to Steve Cracknell in Vancouver, Cananda. I know quite a bit about these cars as I've looked through mine for 17 years now. I would contact Steve, http://90limited7up.stangnet.com Both he and I could help you with these cars. BTW I found my build sheet under the rear seat.

Attachments

• IMG_0359.jpg
    IMG_0359.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 510
  • IMG_0358.jpg
    IMG_0358.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 344
7up

Bought mine from the original owner who bought it in LA as a collector car. He drove it from LA to Dallas when he moved and burned up the engine due to a thermostat sticking. He then put in the GT 40 crate engine. The car was mentioned, with pic, in Mustang 5.0 in an article on 7ups, I have a copy of the mag and all the original paperwork on the car. It now has 13,000 mile with 10,000 on the engine and the supercharger which I just added. By the way the color is deep emerald green, code PA. Here's a site on the 7up Welcome to Steve's 1990 Limited Edition Convertible Page

I picked mine was picked up in 1998 by my father. My searched for a 5.0 Mustang for months before he found that right one. He found it on Honda car lot in Fort Myers, FL the origanal owner had traded the Mustang because his 16 year old son just got his license and the car was to fast for his son. Our family is currently the second owner of the car. When we bought it the car was bone stock. Over the years the mustang got its use. In 2003 the car had an H-pipe, Pro 5.0 Shifter, and 3.73s gears. I supercharger was added to the line up. Bad idea with in a two week period the car blew both head gaskets and then sat in the barn for 3 years. Last year the motor was rebuilt, stroked and has the supercharger still. It pulled down 388rwhp last month. The interior is in the worse shape it could be. It news a new top bad. The paint has seen better days. It's as fast as ever! Now with the shape its in it is truely a sleeper! Long Live the 5.0!

BK_CAULEY, pics like those are part of life. That car has Ponys on it so it could be a later PA colored convertible. I haven't figured out how to look at one of these cars to see if it has the earlier or later Fox Body fenders on it. I know the difference, but can't tell visually. The PA color was also used in 1991 and 1992 also on regular 5.0 convertibles. On the other hand, if it truly is a 1990, that is also one less 7-Up Convertible out of the 4200 to 4300 built, unless someone has rebuilt it too.

What I call 7-Up #1, the one with the Florida Rebuild title, was involved in a LF collision. Looking the car over I saw no frame damage on the car and I could see where the radiator support and only the driver's front inner apron have been replaced, nothing else structurally.

My search for a parts car for 7-Up #1 is what led me to my daily driver (7-Up #2), the parts 7-Up convertible (7-Up # 3) and now the best of the 4 of them (7-Up #4). I have seen a 1992 "Feature" Convertible in a show in Inverness. I am hoping 7-Up #4 will make several shows around this area, as time permits.

7-UP BILL, does the build sheet give the number of the car or is that on the Buck Tag or is it found somewhere else? I have just sent the registry papers and fees off to Canada for the four of these cars. After I part out 7-Up #3 I will let Steve know the car has been destroyed. Right now I can start it up and move it around the yard so I am not ready to disable it. Since 7-Up #2 and 7-Up #4 are in the better condition that they are in I am working on listing 7-Up #1 on CraigsList. I am contemplating going back to a place where I looked at a 5-speed 7-Up Convertible over a year ago. I contemplated checking on it because of the low number of 5 speed 7-Up Convertibles built back then but i originally passed it up due to the price and the work I saw that it needed.

I have seen another 7-Up Convertible here in the Ocala area that someone pasted large white letters spelling out Limited Edition on the sides of the fenders near the 5.0 emblems. It was going into a local Wal*Mart parking lot so I couldn't stop while I was at work to try to talk to them about it.

I have seen many sell on e-Bay and I have seen people list some that didn't know what they were and they got no bids on their cars just listing them as 1990 Mustangs.

(edit) I'm not computer sa-a-avy enough to add thumbnail photos of any of mine. I put some photos of my cars in my gallery (is it called?) (end edit)

I have one that was bought new in Jan. 1991. Over the years I've modified mine quite a bit, but use it sparingly. The engine has 20k while the body has 41K. It is on it's second top thought. (My wife used it as her D/D when new and used an ice scraper on the window and cut it by the rear glass. Only been in snow 1 year.) I started the original registry in 1991 and ran it until about 2005 when work commitments forced me to relinquish it to Steve Cracknell in Vancouver, Cananda. I know quite a bit about these cars as I've looked through mine for 17 years now. I would contact Steve, http://90limited7up.stangnet.com Both he and I could help you with these cars. BTW I found my build sheet under the rear seat.
Bill-I remember your name from back when I joined after purchasing mine....still have it in "bone-stock" condition. Its garaged with 9,000miles..just use it once in a while...kk

I had a little help from the StangNet staff finding a couple of old threads on these Limited Edition Mustang Convertibles. These Emerald Green PA colored convertibles even have their own place in NADA's car value guides so they are even acknowledged by NADA as a limited production car.

I owned a 1989 GT Convertible for 8 of the last 9 years or so, and the same day I decided to give this GT Convertible to my 19 year old daughter I found my first 7-Up Convertible. It was listed on Ocala4sale.com as a 7-Up Convertible so I had to go look at it. I had heard about these cars for years but never knew what one was.

I went and looked at it and it wasn't bad, for the price, and I bought it. The former owner gave me a little bit of information about the car. Since the car was hit in the left front corner, and repaired, according to the former owner, Florida issued it a Rebuild Title because the car was considered totalled when the radiator support area in the left front corner met a point just behind the front of the left front fender.

The former owner fixed it with red parts so when I bought it I decided to look for a PA colored parts car. HAH! This was going to prove to be almost impossible.

I answered an ad on CraigsList Ocala (or maybe it was Gainesville) for a 1990 Mustang Convertible that was Hunter green with a white interior. I knew Hunter green was a later model color so I had to check it out. I was there the day the guy got back to me. It was too nice to use for parts, thus, I added 7-Up #2 to my collection. Now I figured I needed a parts car to use for both of the 7-Up Convertibles I had.

Paydirt! An ad surfaced on CraigsList Gainesville for an abandoned 1990 green convertible with white interior. I was there the next day, and, after researching Florida's website I found that a landlord can "dispose" of property left behind by a tenant if the landlord deems the property to be worth $500.00 or under. The landlord gave it to his friend because the car didn't run. The friend got it running and sold it for parts, to me. That is 7-Up #3.

Well, I almost bought a real nice 1968 Convertible recently but backed out when the seller was "jumping title" on a car he towed home to Florida from Tennessee. I passed that car up, but still look for other 7-Up Convertibles on the Florida CraigsList sites. I couldn't have gotten luckier about a week after I passed up the 1968. I found another one! What a beauty! 7-Up # 4 was brought in, behind my 1968 F-100, on a tow-dolly from Longwood Florida. I thank Jerry to this day for listing the car on CraigsList Orlando. This car is the best of the bunch. It shows 45,000 +/- miles on it (could be over 100,000, but). The car has an almost perfect interior in it. The car has the original Mustang part numbered mufflers hanging under it (with a few holes starting in them) and it also has an original Carlite convertible back window in what may be the second top (worn a bit, but nice) that the car has on it.

Now that I have started this thread about these cars, who else out there has one of these cars and how did you happen to come across your car?

I know there is a registry for these cars too, but that is a registry.

(edit) I'm a little obsessed with these cars, eh? I have classics too, but I like the 7-UP Convertibles(end edit)
Seeing less and less of them..still got mine that I purchased new, "bone-stock" garaged since new and currently has 9,000 mile..still enjoy it...kk