1991 fox body

Hello I am running into some issues with my car and looking for some help. The car starts when it wants to. I replaced the coil pack. Just trying to narrow it down. Any suggestions. When I turn it over it doesn't even click. Makes zero sound. Alternator, starter maybe any help is appreciated ty.

• Sponsors (?)

V8 car?
Don't matter, same applies, start with the 'juice'. Voltage drop test the battery first, if you have a digital volt meter all the better, look for 12+ volts at the battery, and with the meter still hooked up, jump the starter solenoid with a screw driver, nothing happens and the meter holds at 12v+ there is a bad connection, clean the cable connections and the solenoid and ground connections,
sometimes the volt meter will read 12+ volts then when starter is activated it will quickly drop sometimes to 0 volts then jump back up to 12 volts when starter is released, then battery is fubar.
Most cases it's a bad connection so clean them cable connections up, also repeated attempts to start it with a bad battery/low voltage or dirty connections put a hurt on the starter and wires.

• Useful
Reactions: 1 users
Couple other things it could be is the ignition switch or the starter solenoid. Do the voltage drop testing first as that is free and it has fixed many vehicles.

Reactions: 1 users
Lets go back to your original post. When you say "When I turn it over it doesn't even click. Makes zero sound." are you saying that when you turn the key to the crank position nothing happens i.e. the motor does not turn over nor does the starter engage? IF that is the case then do the voltage drop tests and eliminate the connections and cables.

If all of that checks good then post back up as there are some really good trouble shooters on here that can help you methodically work through this and keep you from just throwing money at it. I will tell you that correctly diagnosing the problem and fixing it right may take a little time but you will have fixed it the right way and the chances of it popping back up and stranding you will be close to zero.

clutch safety switch?

Have you tried jumpering the starter solenoid?

Jrichker's no start checklist thread is the real methodical way to answer to this question.

Reactions: 1 user
Hello I am running into some issues with my car and looking for some help. The car starts when it wants to. I replaced the coil pack. Just trying to narrow it down. Any suggestions. When I turn it over it doesn't even click. Makes zero sound. Alternator, starter maybe any help is appreciated ty.
Is it a 5speed? the starter solenoid on the fender try jumping it, turn the key on make sure its in neutral and with a screwdriver jump it see if it turns the motor over it might even start or else its the neutral safety switch or maybe you have some kind of a kill switch on it and it shorts out?

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user