1991 Mustang Enduro Race Car...NEED POWER TIPS!!!

BAFMustangGT

Jul 3, 2004
Rochester, NY
Hello, I am new here. My name is Brian, and i live in Rochester, NY. I own a 2003 Mustang GT which has quite a few mods, but thats not important right now.
I bought a 1991 Mustang LX (Its A 4clyn.) and i will be racing it in a Enduro Class at Brewerton Speedway. So far, the car has been gutted, and a roll cage has been welded in.
My question is, with out breaking these rules...
Stock carburetor / fuel injection system for that make and model. No Turbo Chargers.

Stock transmission for that make and model.

Battery must remain under hood.

Stock unaltered rear end for that make and model.

Passenger tires only. Wheel and tires must be of like size. Stock wheels only with a maximum width of 5" inside bead to bead. Tire sizes: 13" tires may be no larger than 185-70-13. 14" tires may be no larger than 195-70-14.

Gas tank: if stock gas tank is ahead of rear axle it may remain in place. If stock gas tank is behind rear axle, it must be replaced with a fuel cell or boat tank (max. of 6.6 gallons). Fuel cell / boat tank must be covered, secured and located in trunk.

Roll Bars MANDATORY: 4 point roll cage mounting with two points mounting behind the driver and two in front. OPTIONAL: Driver's side minimum of two horizontal crash bars should be installed connecting the down bars of the roll cage to protect the driver from side impact.

Driver's door must be welded or chained shut. Driver side door plates mandatory. (A leaf spring separated and welded to the outside door is allowed, or it's equivalent. PASSENGER SIDE DOOR MUST OPEN.)

Approved aluminum racing seat mandatory. Stock drivers seat must be removed.

Approved helmets (Snell 95 or better), race type seat belts (4 or 5 point harness minimum), and gloves required. A firesuit is recommended or CARHART type pants and jacket acceptable. Neck brace is recommended.

Window net is MANDATORY. Fire extinguisher in driver's cockpit is recommended.

All glass (except windshield) must be removed, including tail lights, markers, and mirrors. Third brake light must remain intact and operable. To compete, cars must be cleaned out from any loose material, broken glass, etc. A screen behind the windshield is recommended.

Driver floor pan must be complete. No holes. Exhaust must pass driver's compartment and then exit the car. Car horn must be in working condition.

....what can i do to make it have more power? So far, a whole new exhaust ( i am new to this 4clyn. thing) if there is one out there, what is it?, a intake...i have looked in the forum and i have read a few, thus i dont think there is one, what about an intake manafold or osmething. I herd the Rangers have better intake systems? What about a porting job?

Thanks for everything, and if you have any ideas, advice, or websties, that would be great.

-Brian

• Sponsors (?)

i hate to say this, but if this is not an all mustang class, you may have picked the wrong car IMO. You are going to have to cut out alot of weight and add some hefty power to compete with some of the cars that are able to run in that class. i would start with a header from someone like Racer Walsh http://racerwalsh.zoovy.com/ they specialize in this stuff. And then i would do a complete port and polish of the entire intake track, head, upper and lower intake. I didn't see anything in the rules you posted that said you must run stock compression or a stock head, or that you couldn't use the little blue bottle. But i haven't seen the rule book. you may want to have a custom intake made and maybe alot better head if the class allows... I see where the rules say you must use stock fuel injection, but can you use bigger injectors or a bigger throttlebody?? alot of variables to consider..

It would help if you gave us a little more insite to the rules restricting engine modifications.

Also besides Racer Walsh, check out www.esslingerengineering.com Those guys make some very serious horsepower out of those motors (425+hp on those full blown USAC midget on methonal). Though prices are a bit high, but they make some very quality parts. Also I do know that mass air flow is the best, the roller cam is the best (I'm talking stock components) but the twin plug head is the worst flowing (though the SCCA IT guys seem not to have trouble getting the power out of them with some very restrictive rules).