1994 351 Project Question!! please help!

Hey everyone,
I just bought a 1994 hardtop mustang, it came with a 351 with a lot of work done to the motor. The guy told me it has all forged internals, bored 60 over, had a 3 speed auto, shift kit, 3000 stall, slap shifter, holly carb, eldo intake, all msd stuff. The body isn't in the greatest shape, and I got the motor to fire up yesterday. sounds great! It is in need of a good tune up and body needs work, interior needs work. How do I find out more about this motor ect? How can i figure out the year of the motor and what should i all do to the motor to make sure it's in 100% working shape? Should I do anything else besides the basics like change the oil ect? The car has not been on the road in a few years he said. He was still working on it. Any advice on my new project would be great!! thank you all for your help!

• Sponsors (?)

First off, I am by no means an engine expert-especially with 351's. Not trying to be a dick at all but I really hope that what you bought was a 351 and not just a carbed 302. Do you know what size carb you have? Or what cam/heads you got? I would be scared to buy something modded up like yours without knowing the exact parts added on. Some jerk on ebay "selling for a friend" could easily pull one off on you.

It sounds like you are somewhat new to the game, especially because this is your first post (congrats and welcome to stangnet by they way). Please dont let my post turn you off from your car or this site. There are tons of people on here that know their stuff inside and out. Its just that you'd help us out a lot more if you could start by telling us the size of your carb, and the engine mount/suspension mods used to do the old 302-351 swap.

My car sounds pretty tough too, but I admit its kind of a dog with more bark than bite. I know someone will help you out but please post up some more info of your enigine, everything and anything you know or can think of. Newer 351's like from lightnings have hydrolic cams, older 351's have solid cams. This could help you get closer to determining the year of your motor.

Dont get disheartened if you dont know something automotive related, someone here more qualified than I should be able to help you out. Like I said I am not a 351expert but others here can get you pointed in the right direction. You can also do a SEARCH on 351's here to help you out with some info. Again WELCOME TO STANGNET!
(the new sober post whore)
-fawcett

Im pretty sure the year is under the intake in the lifter valley...but i dont recall exactly.

I dont think the later 351s actually had roller cams...they were just roller capable i thought.

Just check under the intake( or is it by the starter? I think thats a chevy motor though) for the year and for the condition of the motor, is there any smoke? Burning oil? You could do a compression test or a leak down test i guess, just look out for the usual symptoms.

I've been thinking about your thread and you never said how much experience you have, what your prior cars have been, your confidence/skill level... It would help us gauge the level you are on. Oh yeah if it were me, I'd change the oil after I bought it. I wouldnt care if the guy said he just did it, it could all be BS so that he could sell you the car. Whats that saying "never expect a racer to tell the truth?" I dont trust anyone, but again thats just me.
-fawcett

You can find a casting number just above the starter. This will tell you what decade the block was cast. The later model blocks were roller capable. The ones in the late 93-95 Lightnings were roller capable but, had flat tappet cams. The ones in regular F-150s had a roller cam in them. What type heads are on the motor? As for the internals and what they are you would pretty much have to take the motor apart to check for sure.

thanks you guys

thanks everyone for your posts. this is my 4th mustang, i found this in the paper for only 3k. i have a big box of receipts of whats done to the car. i am pretty sure there is about 6k in parts added on. i just sold my 98 cobra convertible, with that i only had tremec tko, tri-ax, mcleod clutch, cobra-r aluminum flywheel, then body stuff like springs tint, oh, had an offroad xpipe. before that i had a 95 gts with a t-trim supercharger and pretty much every mod. i know this car has all msd, think it's a 750 holly DP, hooker headers, and i will post everything else here in the next hour of what is exactally in it. i think he said the block is around a 73? i'm use to the 5.0 and 4.6dohc, but they have always been new motors. never had a motor in the 70's, i'm only 22, so... but i appreciate everyone's comments and i will update you all with what is done. i know it doesnt' mean much, but it came with a big phantom 5.25'' tach with shift light, and all these other guages in the inside, think it's oil, temp, and batt. came with a pair of slicks also! b&m ripper is the shifter too.

tiernome said:
thanks everyone for your posts. this is my 4th mustang, i found this in the paper for only 3k. i have a big box of receipts of whats done to the car. i am pretty sure there is about 6k in parts added on. i just sold my 98 cobra convertible, with that i only had tremec tko, tri-ax, mcleod clutch, cobra-r aluminum flywheel, then body stuff like springs tint, oh, had an offroad xpipe. before that i had a 95 gts with a t-trim supercharger and pretty much every mod. i know this car has all msd, think it's a 750 holly DP, hooker headers, and i will post everything else here in the next hour of what is exactally in it. i think he said the block is around a 73? i'm use to the 5.0 and 4.6dohc, but they have always been new motors. never had a motor in the 70's, i'm only 22, so... but i appreciate everyone's comments and i will update you all with what is done. i know it doesnt' mean much, but it came with a big phantom 5.25'' tach with shift light, and all these other guages in the inside, think it's oil, temp, and batt. came with a pair of slicks also! b&m ripper is the shifter too.

Only difference between a 5.0 block from the later years and the older 351 blocks are the rear main seal. Newer blocks starting in early 80's maybe have a 1 piece where as the older blocks have a 2 piece. And the non-roller issue. Other than that they are basically the same block...one is just a little bigger:p

he said he just had the block dipped in acid or whatever before i bought the car. i haven't checked the compression yet, but it seems to be fine. i thought for $3000 it was a good deal, i feel bad tho because the guy was loosing his house and had to sell it....i will post some pictures and let you all know what is in it!

quick way to tell a 351W from a 302 is to look at the relationship of the timingcover to the head mating surface. A 302 block has the head deck surface right above the timing cover. On a 351, it's about an inch above. It's sometimes easy to see this, if you know what you are looking for, with the engine in the car.

351 Block:
116_0309_titan_4_z.jpg

302 Block:

302.jpg

Dennis

a50sn95 said:
quick way to tell a 351W from a 302 is to look at the relationship of the timingcover to the head mating surface. A 302 block has the head deck surface right above the timing cover. On a 351, it's about an inch above. It's sometimes easy to see this, if you know what you are looking for, with the engine in the car.

351 Block

302 Block

Dennis

ahhh thats a good idea! Never noticed that:nice:

there should b numbers on the outside of the block if its round 70's instead of having to pull the intake. stock intake would have numbers but you said it's aftermarket, so it won't. to give it a good tune up, n if it runs check the idle and timing, and all the vaccum hoses for cracks or leaks. if theres idle probs, check vaccum leaks, carb gastket, and intake gasket. when setting timing on a new to me vehicle, i'd make sure it's on #1 at TDC. check cap rotor plugs wires. all fluids. u might flush the radiator and and change the oil, and flush/change or just check brake fluid. ..check belts.

...i wonder bout ur engine thoo... u said it was 60 over... that's pretty thin if you ask me...
but just do a thurough check of the engine... clean it up with degreaser while ur under there, and after you drive it some check for leaks.