1994 MAF and Headers ?

RAW2

Oct 30, 2009
Bethlehem, PA.
I have a 1994 Stang Gt Convertible, I'm about to install a CAI and still have the stock MAF do I have to change it or can you tell me how to install it. On the headers I need to know if long tubes are better than shorties.

• Sponsors (?)

Long tubes produce a little more torque, shorties are MUCH simpler to install, I have them and like them. As for the maf your fine with the stock one

No need to change the MAF.

The choice of header will depend on what your plans are for the car.

For a daily driver, shorties will be fine. However, if you want to optimize the power band and do some racing then go long tubes.

it is my opinion that long tubes are more trouble then they are worth. they are a pain to install and they can mess with the tune because of the way they move the O2 sensors farther away.

nowadays, the gains you get from good shorty headers are almost as much as long tubes. not quite as good still, but it is alot closer than it used to be.

i think also that equal length shorty headers are a not worth it. they make simple things like changing the spark plugs a real pain and they have a tendency to burn plug wires

i think mid lengths are a good compromise.

and the only time you need to worry about the maf is if you are changing the fuel injectors (because you are doing some mods and increasing the horse power alot)

You're fine with the stock MAF.

Long tubes are better but harder to install. Anything is better than the stock spaghetti headers. I have never had a single problem with moving the O2s farther away with long tube headers. I must have installed them on 20 cars by now.

Kurt

Are you concerned with the physical installation of the MAF? You remove the MAF from the air cleaner assembly (Remove the MAF pipe as an assembly. One end has 4 bolts and the other is round, like a throttle body).

Then it just slips into the silicone coupler on the firewall side and then bolts to the CAI on the air-filter end.

Though not quite apples to apples, the pics here might help:

Mustangworld - Mac Cold Air intake