1997 gt 4.6l mods.

Sims6986

Feb 26, 2004
Indy
I'm buying a newer gt in the next 2 weeks. I'm thinking of buying a 96-98 modular gt. I've heard they are dogs. What head swap would be good for it? They are SOHC, are the new 4.6's DOHC? What else can i do to make it perform as well as the newer gt's, or should i just buy the 94-95 5.0? I'm kind of straying away from buying a modular now because of the power issues i've heard. I know the newer gt is the way to go but i can't afford a 1999 or newer. (i don't think i can). Can someone help me out?

• Sponsors (?)

A popular upgrade for nPI equipped Mustangs is the PI swap. This includes swapping PI heads and the PI intake on an nPI 96 – 98 Mustang resulting in an approximate gain of 45 RWHP, but with an increase in the compression ratio to approximately 10.5-1 making these PI head swapped engines supercharger unfriendly.

Another common swap that involves less labor at significantly less cost is the PI cam and intake swap. The swap provides a gain of approximately 30 - 35 RWHP while maintaining the stock compression ratio. Because used PI cams and used PI intakes can usually be purchased for approximately $100 each, this mod is proving to be one of the best dollar for horsepower mods available for the nPI equipped Mustang.

After the PI, you should get some 4.10s. For the 4.6L Engines the 4.10 gears put the engine in the right powerband and the right time. I have herd 4.30s are amazing, and personaly, i would have gotten them if i would have felt 4.10s first. I love the 4.10s, i have really not lost any gas miliage and if you want to spray they still give you enough band to do it (although if you know you are gona spray or blow, go 3.73).

Good Luck with you new car, and congrats (if you buy it).

it depends if you want to make it a bolt on car. Like earlier stated the PIcams and intake is a really good dollar for hp buy. The bolt on stuff cost about the same as 5.0 stuff. It just depends on where you are wanting to take you car. The cobra's are extremely heavy and don't make a lot of power.

svtcobra R said:
I'm buying a newer gt in the next 2 weeks. I'm thinking of buying a 96-98 modular gt. I've heard they are dogs. What head swap would be good for it? They are SOHC, are the new 4.6's DOHC? What else can i do to make it perform as well as the newer gt's, or should i just buy the 94-95 5.0? I'm kind of straying away from buying a modular now because of the power issues i've heard. I know the newer gt is the way to go but i can't afford a 1999 or newer. (i don't think i can). Can someone help me out?

if you have the cash you can get a 99+ motor low miles for 1000-1500 if that's what you want, i've seen 02 explorer motors for 1500 (which are GT motors with an aluminum block!!!)

mine doesn't run too bad and still has 99k mi.