1st gear thump

yakini

Oct 25, 2004
one more quick question, since i am new to mustangs. everything i heard about the t5 was good, but i do have the 87 lx which i am told has a weak version. when i pull up to a light or somewhere else and put the tranny in neutral, then when i am about to go again.. in goes the clutch and as you push the stick into first SOMETIMES there is a thunk that you can feel and hear. is this just the gear mesh? worn syncro? its not very loud but is noticable, have been told it is normal but i want a more experienced opinion. thank you.

• Sponsors (?)

does it feel like the gear is loading up? does it happen if you are in neutral or rolling ever so slightly?
are you sure the clutch is totally disengaging?
good luck.

no, not at all. i actually notice the sound as i move the stick left, before it even begins so slide forward into gear. thats what messed me up. nothing like the grind you get going into reverse somtimes. clutch to the floor, shifter moving from neutral over towards first. and it only happens once in a while. strange. and it happens when completely stopped and yes the clutch is completely disengaged. also, once it thumps, i can't get it to do it again until i move the car some.