1st trip to the strip tomorrow, any suggestions?

First time i took it to the track i ripped a 14.69 on my last pass. I launched at 2500rpm and no clutch dumping crap...if you have a good clutch, slip it. then i shifter at around 52-5500 rpms (powershift it)

• Sponsors (?)

well I have a question/comment a friend of mine raced mustangs for 20 years or so, and he says that the mustang gear box works best when you shift slowly and smoothly. bangin it through the gears may seem faster, but the gearbox is harder to shift through the harder you try. he tells me to shift with two fingers, and almost match revs. I dont have much experience at the track so I couldnt tell you, but what do the experienced drivers think?

also, heres a little tid bit for launching. altough there really isnt such a thing as launching on street tires. .. all tires get their best traction when under a certain degree of slip. of course all are different, but for road racing, this means that when you are driving at the absolute limit, your car will be in a minor slide throughout the turn. so this means that you need to listen to your tires. you will know that you are going at the right speed when you can just barely hear your tires making noise. if theyre screaming your losing time. so keep that in mind when you are trying to find a good launch speed and how much clutch you are using.

a couple of tips, don't go on a full tank, you'll have less weight with less gas, if your car can handle it, get some 100 octane and mix it with 93, don't use all 100 its bad for a stock motor, might want to take the back seat out, let your motor cool down before you run it down the track if you are driving there, you'll want to shift before the redline because the peak hp isn't at the redline, keep your shifts and throttle smooth, trying to jam through the gears doesn't save you any time at all, in fact it might take more time, keep on the gas untill you cross the finish line, and thats about it for your first time

maxima said:
why does everybody say shift at 5500? the redline is 5800? shift high land high, doesnt anybody know that? i have an 04 gt 5spd

And what times do u run shifting like that?

They say to shift like that because they know where the power band is in the engine. Just because your redline is 5800, doesn't mean you shift at redline :nonono:

I went to the track today with a couple buddies of mine who also have stangs....a 2000 gt auto with 4.10's and a CAI ran 14.2's all day. I was very impressed with the 4.6's power and also that auto tranny aint that bad. With a shift kit and higher stall that thing would be a screamer bound for mid 13's!!

ninety15.0 said:
I went to the track today with a couple buddies of mine who also have stangs....a 2000 gt auto with 4.10's and a CAI ran 14.2's all day. I was very impressed with the 4.6's power and also that auto tranny aint that bad. With a shift kit and higher stall that thing would be a screamer bound for mid 13's!!
Yeah the 4rw7 blah blah whatever the hell the number is that they stared using in 96 is MUCH MUCH better than the AOD used in the fox's

UDTBadkarma said:

They say to shift like that because they know where the power band is in the engine. Just because your redline is 5800, doesn't mean you shift at redline :nonono:

well i dont know man he kind of has a point. although most people run faster times by shifting lower, (id have to look at a dyno chart for our motors) but you arent suposed to shift only where your peak hp is at, but also you need to land right in your torque band. where you will end up next gear needs to be taken into consideration as well. but yeah, 5800 is too high.

SpitfireMk24 said:
well i dont know man he kind of has a point. although most people run faster times by shifting lower, (id have to look at a dyno chart for our motors) but you arent suposed to shift only where your peak hp is at, but also you need to land right in your torque band. where you will end up next gear needs to be taken into consideration as well. but yeah, 5800 is too high.
The non pi's are pretty much done by 5500rpm, and if he is shifting at 6000rpm with the non pi he may aswell bring a book along so he'll have something to read while he's waiting to get to the end of the 1/4 :D [you'd have to drive a non pi to know what I mean]The Pi engine [like yours] pulls very well right to redline, but the best shift point for it would about 5500rpm
Here's a good link to an article on shift rpm:

http://www.modulardepot.com/?show=articlesdet&aid=50

UDTBadkarma said:

ive ran horrible intake and exhaust on my 04 gt and best run 14.63 at 97.. i know horrible but i blame it on my 60fts best 2.30. u think shifting at 5500 would make me run better?

Everyone agrees that after 4800 rpm the mod motor (specialy the NPI guys) falls on its face...so its pointless to take it all the way to 6grand.......thats what powershifting is for, you shift at peack power, but because you powershift, the next gear will engage at redline....putting you back well into the powerband. (if you have 410s i would be carefull doing this 1-2 shift, it will cause your tires to break loose again.)

maxima said:
ive ran horrible intake and exhaust on my 04 gt and best run 14.63 at 97.. i know horrible but i blame it on my 60fts best 2.30. u think shifting at 5500 would make me run better?

Yes. Shifting at 5800-6k is out of the power band of our GTs. Your just wasting time bringing the car up to 6k.

power shifting

is power shifting the right thing to do? b/c when i have traction control off and i power shift from first to second, i get major wheel spin. when i power shift from second to third (all shifts at 5500 RPM) i get a chirp. is this the best way to do it?
:shrug: