2+2GT--painting question

When you jamb a car like this:

JT5850.JPG

How do you prevent overspray on the painted panels when doing the rest of the shell? Waxing, back taping, ??????

• Sponsors (?)

I guess I should clarify--Are you taping off the top of the rocker panel? Wondering how to prevent overspray there without having a tape line.
The tape is on the back side of the pinchweld.

BTW, what is foam tape??
It's round foam tape used at lines where you do not wish to have a tape line.

Another question.

I have some rust out in the rear window channel of my 65 coupe. Is the "rear window panel" a "skin" or does it also include the underframing? Is it hard to install or would it be simpler/safer to cut it and use it as a patch to replace the bad areas? (Windows out and I should have adequate welding skills)

I always complete the car, and then go back and mask it off to do the door jams. Or the other way around. Wax is a great way to keep the over spray off the car, but still tape, plastic, paper anyway. Just don't think so much about it,do it. Its only paint and it fixes easy enough.

lol true to the cool factor, but unless its on hand.... I have also used foam window seal to do the same thing. But taping around the seam of the sheet metal works best. usually there is an edge or lip I can grab. But I just do this stuff for a hobby. And that keeps it fun.

Dennis,

I assume you mean the piece between the deck lid and the rear window? If so it does not include the frame below. I replaced mine, I think there was some spot welds on the under frame pieces, also in the corners where it connects to the quarters, and then some on the front too. I'd by the panel and cut pieces from it, if it ain't to bad.

Andrew

Dennis,

I assume you mean the piece between the deck lid and the rear window? If so it does not include the frame below. I replaced mine, I think there was some spot welds on the under frame pieces, also in the corners where it connects to the quarters, and then some on the front too. I'd by the panel and cut pieces from it, if it ain't to bad.

Andrew

Yes, that is the piece I was asking about.

My rust issues consist of a couple of smaller holes, but the whole channel is pitted pretty good in places. Since this is a total repaint, I will probably do as you said and graft in fresh metal from a replacement panel.

Thanks.

lol true to the cool factor, but unless its on hand.... I have also used foam window seal to do the same thing. But taping around the seam of the sheet metal works best. usually there is an edge or lip I can grab. But I just do this stuff for a hobby. And that keeps it fun.

Yeah just a hobby to me too and I normally have taped to the seam in a door jamb but the top of the rocker (what you see when you get in the car) has always been somewhat of a compromise, even when backtaping. This time I'll probably give the $$ round foam tape a try.