2 blowers?

umstang

Apr 12, 2004
Ok me and my friends are having a little arguement. Is it even possible to have a roots-type and centrifugal blower? I really think it's impossible but what do you guys think?

• Sponsors (?)

Well yeah you can do anything with infinate funds. I'm saying would it even be able to work? I mean even if you use the same lb. pullies, they might not even be able to work at the same speeds.

Sure, but why?

Many of the early industy diesels ran turbos and roots blower combos. It keeps the exhaust temps lower and the flow up there to protect the valvetrain and operating enviroment, but still make excellent power. Plus on demand start generators they have to be able to take the load immediatley before turbo is warm enough to spool up well.

in theory it would work, with the roots giving the low end and the centri giving the upper. the big issue would be tuning it, and as mentioned the design limitations (ie, can a roots blower handle pressure on the intake side.)

there was an article by richard holdener in an old mm&ff issue (like '99-'00) which discussed this in a little more detail. but i don't think it's been done.

-steve