2 more manual rack problems

i got the rack off and the bushings out but i ran into 2 new problems. The peice or coupler that fits on the shaft of the rack connecting it and the steering shift wont fit, the splines of the stock power rack are bigger than the spline on the new manual rack. What do i need that will fit the smaller splines so i can get it on and connect it to the steering shaft.
Also the tierod ends dont want to come off, how did you guys get them off? Sorry for the trouble but really need to get steering back so i can get it out of the garage. Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

Are you using the Flaming River adapter for the stock style manual rack?

Did you break the nut loose that locks the outer tie rod into place? Once that is broke loose the tie rods turn off very easily.

Rick is right on. i havent done it, but i thought there was some sort of adapter needed to hook it up (that could be for oem manual racks off older cars, i cant remember).

for the tie rods, do you mean you cant get the tapered part out of the knuckle?
if so, you can use a tie rod or pitman puller to do it, pickle fork if you are not reusing it (tends to destroy them), or what i do is give it a whack with a 4# hammer. a whack or two and it should come out.

good luck.

Damn i guess i need a new steering shaft to get it to work, think i can get done locally cheaper then the FR but still an unecpected expense. I cant get the 2 lock nuts to break loose might try a torch to warm it up and see if it helps. Thanks for the input just sucks running into unexpected stuff like this.

image10.jpg

Instead of buying the adapter pictured above which runs $70 I'd buy the alum shaft that is around $160 it will not rust even the u joints are alum and it will give you a lot more clearance.

PERKS Performance can get you the shaft, link is in my sig