2 ?s: Will K&N improve MPG & should I remove air silencer?

search4aztlan

Nov 19, 2002
Orlando, FL
Just bought a K&N and wondered if i can expect a slight improvement in MPG. Also, i'm new to the 4.6 world. The 5.0'ers would remove the air silencer (snorkel) to improve intake air flow. Should I bother doing the same on the 4.6L?

'98 56,xxx miles
5-spd

• Sponsors (?)

I just picked up a 98 with 58,000 on it myself. It already had the K&N so I couldn't tell you the difference, if any, in mileage. I did pull the air silencer the second day I had the car. I think the motor revved a little easier. It only takes about 5 minutes to do.

i definitely felt the difference when i put on a K&N and took off the silencer. i don't have any numbers on it but i could tell a little bit of power increase. worth the $45 - that's for sure.

I bought a K&N off Ebay for $5, cleaned and reoiled it (already had the cleaner kit) and took the silencer out. Right away i noticed the car had a meaner deeper growl to it. I like!

as with almost every cold air intake out there, they are all placebo's (most ) especially ones with metal housings like bbk...

the one i do like i dont have *sigh, which is the densecharger system, i think that does some good, all the others are worthless