2 years after graduating high school....

mustangman70

Founding Member
Dec 30, 2001
St pete, Florida
Im finally going to college and figured out just what i want to do with my life (i think LOL)

If all goes well, in 2 years i will have my Associates in Computer Engineering Technology linux or cisco both including the IT security option and including all of my certs, im leaning towrds linux, but cisco is allways good to know too so :bang: lol

I start the 21st....so if im on a little less....well, im getting schooled.

• Sponsors (?)

Hah, got you beat! It's been 15 years since I graduated. I start classes at Calhoun CC the week after next. I'm going for M.E. I found out recently that my current job is going nowhere, so I have to do something. I work in a computer helpdesk and I really don't like it anymore. I figured out what I want to be a few years ago. I would love to restore WWII and post war aircraft but there isn't much of a market for that. Oh, well, on to plan "D".

Best of luck! It took me 12 years to get my BS (a 4 year degree). I started straight out of high-school and had no direction... so after 4 years of not doing well I dropped out and joind the Marine Corps. Best thing I've ever done in my life (up to that point). I started over after I got out and graduated in 1999... it was a long hard road but it got me to a better place.

Correct me if I'm wrong but cisco makes mostly networking products while linux is an operating system.

I've been working in IT for a large healthcare company for 5 years now. Here's my advice:

- Personally I wouldn't go into the networking side of things. Sure it's pretty interesting, but unless you do design-only type stuff (very rare) you will always be on call and will be expected to drop everything when a network failure/problem arrises. To be honest, I feal sorry for our networking guys. Tho they do make a killing in overtime.

- Linux would be very interesting as it's often used in more advanced/specialized systems. Problem is that there's not alot of it out there. You'll have alot more oppertunity working with microsoft systems (as much as they suck). I'd get the MS cert's 1st, get a job, then get the linux certifications through nightschool or something.

mustangman70 said:
Nice man thanks for serving our our country so we may still be free :hail2:

Ive never been in the millitary or marines or anything...just not my cup of tea, but i have the utmost respect for those who do :flag: ....so thanks man:nice:

What did you major in?

I got a BS in computer science... it tested my limits as I am no wizard when it comes to scholastics. I have succeded professionaly on my work habits and abilities to communicate and interact with people more so than my education. :D

I was a network admin on and off for about 9 years and while it was interesting work as mentioned above it has some drawbacks. It is also a dead end job you might want to think of something with a little more life to it. Other wise you will just become a cable jockey or glorified telephone repair man.

Jester67 said:
I was a network admin on and off for about 9 years and while it was interesting work as mentioned above it has some drawbacks. It is also a dead end job you might want to think of something with a little more life to it. Other wise you will just become a cable jockey or glorified telephone repair man.
i see this happening. what did you move too? i was thinkin about that this morning how much it was going to suck in a few years.:notnice:

Jester67 said:
Other wise you will just become a cable jockey or glorified telephone repair man.
[homer voice] Aaahhhh, crap![/homer voice] Here I am, "moving up" out of telephone into networking! :nonono: If that kid hadn't come along after I got married, I'd have gone back to school and finished that BSEE! :bang:

(Waiting to see how long it takes for Tink to see this and respond) :p

StangDreamin' said:
[homer voice] Aaahhhh, crap![/homer voice] Here I am, "moving up" out of telephone into networking! :nonono: If that kid hadn't come along after I got married, I'd have gone back to school and finished that BSEE! :bang:

(Waiting to see how long it takes for Tink to see this and respond) :p
tick, tick, tick..............

(or is that "tink, tink, tink........."):rlaugh:

sometimes I just crack myself up!:lol:

mustangman70 said:
Well theres tons of other branches i could go into.

Ever think about starting your own networking company? that dosent sound too dead end to me :shrug:

It will run your life. Seriously... while you can make good money in overtime/support, you'll always be on call. As in you'll never be able to leave town or put your cell phone away...

Theres got to be ways around that man...

Being on call is part of the job right? People who become firemen know that they could die on the job or be called in when ever.

If i could get my own company started and start baniking...ill just paysome one to be on call all the time lol...and ill put for phone away while im on vacation :haha: