2000 Mustang GT - Electric Locks - Interior Dome Light

WA1KWA

Jan 5, 2010
Hello All,

Hope this the appropriate forum for these questions. These are for my daughter's 2000 Mustang GT:

1). The electric locks do nit work. When you press the button on either door you hear a weak click from inside the respective door, and, also, a click from either behind the interior fuse box, or, the driver;s side kick panel. The driver's door switch has good continuity (didn't test the passenger door switch). Checked fuse continuity, it, too, is good. The locks will work manually, with the key, by pressing the door plunger, and, unlocking using the interior door handle.

2). The dome light does not work. All three bulbs test good continuity. I took the assembly out, and tested for voltage at the plug. Nothing. Doesn't matter if the door is open, or if the dome light switch is on.

Don;t know if these may or may not be related. And ideas would be welcome.

Thanks.

Colin

• Sponsors (?)

Check the GEM

Check Fuse F2.7, F2.19, and F2.27 in the central junction box (CJB).

Check the generic electronic module (GEM). The power actually routes through the GEM. It is located behind the dash LH side.

Has any radio work been done that may have disconnected any grounds? The radio and GEM use the same ground located on the left hand side of the center console.

The two problems most likely related as the dome lights also go through the GEM. Think of the GEM as a fancy relay with programmed time delays and such.

Attachments

• diagram-110-1.pdf
    15.6 KB · Views: 473
there several relays behind that kick panel. you may have one that is faulty. my dome light has a loose wire right behind that kick panel. I am actually going to put a butt connector on it today and i can post some pics of what i'm doing. as far as the door lock, you may have a faulty actuator or something else. my explorer does the same thing but not with the clicks and sounds that you are experiencing. in my case it is the lock mechanism that is out of alignment.