2002 gt mustang

beacop2

Dec 25, 2008
I have a 2002 gt mustang. Just hit 80,000 and its just about paid off. I only have 2,000 right now, but I save 500 a month so im wanting to start a lil project. I want around 400 hp for now..I was hoping I could get that with around $4,000 with me doing all of the work. I want it to be pure motor, I was thinking a 347 stroker ? But what block should I use ? I was told the 4.6 blocks that are in these cars can't handle over 400 hp? Eventually I wana be able to put twin turbo's on it :D to get around 700-800hp. So I need a pretty good block. What do you guys think I should do ?

• Sponsors (?)

+1 the block will hold a lot of power, the inerds won't. Check out MMR's shortblocks. Is this gonna be a daily or what. What are your plans for the car?

that's cool. No it won't be a daily driver..I've always wanted a fast car so heres my chance to start on it. It will only get drove on nice sunny days, prolly won't see the track much either. Right now if I get it bored and stroked and change all the internals and saw 400hp I would be happy. But later down the road I would like to throw twin turbo's on it or twin super chargers..Its a automatic so I was thinking some 4.10's with what is it 32 spine axles? As far as the tranny goes I wasn't sure what to do with it. Lol im new to this kinda stuff..

If you upgrade the axles you're gonna need to get a new differential too. Stroker would be cool. For the trans, hopefully cobrared will chime in and give some advice since his tranny is pretty beastly. It'll be hard to reach 400hp but with a stroker and built top end you could make some good numbers. 4.10's would be a good gear since it won't be a DD. You could even throw in some 4.30's if you want:rock: You got plans for the suspension yet?

If you upgrade the axles you're gonna need to get a new differential too. Stroker would be cool. For the trans, hopefully cobrared will chime in and give some advice since his tranny is pretty beastly. It'll be hard to reach 400hp but with a stroker and built top end you could make some good numbers. 4.10's would be a good gear since it won't be a DD. You could even throw in some 4.30's if you want:rock: You got plans for the suspension yet?

Yeah a place called Maximum motorsports has a Maximum grip box it replaces all of the stock suspesnsion to tublar its like 4,000 but i wana get the motor/tranny and rear done before i do that. cause i wont be at the track anytime soon so i have plenty of time to do suspension. I checked out MMR i think im gonna do the 950 horseblock it's a really good deal. Comes with forged pistons, rods, crank, and a few other things. So then I will need a good set of heads, cams, and intake.

This bad boy right here?
The Maximum Grip Box : Maximum Motorsports Performance Mustang Suspension Store, Buy Now!
Yea they are the leaders in suspension. It is rather pricey, but great quality.
TrickFlow is comming out with the first set of 2v heads that are supposed to be OUTSTANDING.There are a few companies out there that make good intakes(TrickFlow makes a good one) and Tons of companies make cams.

Yup thats it. I might end up changing my mind on that im not sure...I don't need stuff for conering and all that..so i'll get in contact with them and try to figure something out. I was thinking a set of comp cams not sure which ones yet. I herd about those heads from trickflow susposed to be like 2,300 though!

You'll never see 400hp on an all motor 2V for $4,000....so get that thought out of your head right now. There is no amount of boring and stroking that can be done to the block that will give you enough displacement to do it without getting really creative and expensive with the top end of the engine. That being said...if 400hp is all you're shooting for, most of the off the shelf 2V blower kits will get you there. One of the popular centrifugals or the Tork Tech Inc. is probably your best bang for the buck right now. Check out this months edition of 5.0L Mustang and Superfords. They made 399rwhp and like amounts of torque with their basic intercooled set up.

And to clarify, a 347 is a pushrod engine and as such will require an entire new engine, transmission combination as well as ignition and fuel system set up that will go through your $4,000 long before you hit your goal.

Stick with the power plant that you've got and build from there. It'll be a lot less expensive and far less frustrating that starting from scratch....especially for someone like yourself, who sounds like a real novice to the modification world.

You've got to remember....a 400hp car and an 800hp car, aren't the same vehicle. Even though a few base components might be the same, they're built completely different. 400rwhp is enough to get you well into the 11's. 700-800hp will bring in deep into the 9's and even 8's....but you're also looking at $40,000 worth of work, on top of what you paid for your car. Your drive train is going to end up costing you as much as the power plant in the end, so I hope you know what you're in for? :shrug:

There you go. This cat knows whats up. I was also gonna mention the s/c route but you said N/A so i didn't. The supercharger route is your best bet. Thats what i would do if i had the cake. Nitrous is also another route.:D

You'll never see 400hp on an all motor 2V for $4,000....so get that thought out of your head right now. There is no amount of boring and stroking that can be done to the block that will give you enough displacement to do it without getting really creative and expensive with the top end of the engine. That being said...if 400hp is all you're shooting for, most of the off the shelf 2V blower kits will get you there. One of the popular centrifugals or the Tork Tech Inc. is probably your best bang for the buck right now. Check out this months edition of 5.0L Mustang and Superfords. They made 399rwhp and like amounts of torque with their basic intercooled set up.

And to clarify, a 347 is a pushrod engine and as such will require an entire new engine, transmission combination as well as ignition and fuel system set up that will go through your $4,000 long before you hit your goal.

Stick with the power plant that you've got and build from there. It'll be a lot less expensive and far less frustrating that starting from scratch....especially for someone like yourself, who sounds like a real novice to the modification world.

You've got to remember....a 400hp car and an 800hp car, aren't the same vehicle. Even though a few base components might be the same, they're built completely different. 400rwhp is enough to get you well into the 11's. 700-800hp will bring in deep into the 9's and even 8's....but you're also looking at $40,000 worth of work, on top of what you paid for your car. Your drive train is going to end up costing you as much as the power plant in the end, so I hope you know what you're in for? :shrug:

Thanks so much! Yeah im deff new to all of this. So I think I will end up going with a supercharger and maybe have the heads ported (or change them) and put new cams, intake, headers, diff exhaust. I deff understand a 400hp car and a 800hp is diff, it makes sense. If I could see low 11's I would be happy..I guess I really don't need a 8-9 second car lol, unless I end up inheriting a monster amount of money :D