2003 F 150 heads to put on my NPI car

Mush-Hog

May 24, 2009
South Carolina
Getting a free 2003 complete 4.6 from a F 150. The heads should be PI correct? Wont be able to get the engine until next Monday to check.

Anyhow assuming it is a PI engine, thinking about getting the heads shaved down a bit maybe .0020-.0030 or so to clean them up and help bump the compression a bit more. Any suggestions on bigger valves or any tricks before I put the heads on my NPI engine?

Will the truck intake manifold be ok to use or should I look elsewhere for a PI manifold?

Thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

Yes, these heads are PI heads and the cams are the same.

I wouldn't shave the heads down.

If you can get a reasonable port job from somebody that has ported 2v heads, do it now, and add a set of cams. The port job is not going to gain you giant gains, but it is worth the money if the car is apart. Also, install LT's while the heads are off the car. I've done multiple PI swaps, and did not learn my lessons of doing LT's even after the first time around. Make sure you put a set of LT's on while the heads are off the car.

Also, the truck intake will not fit.

Car-Part.com--Used Auto Parts Market. You can pick one up for 40-50 bucks, just call the salvage yard closest to you with the part, and work a deal. Good luck!

Mark

Have PI intake FS

Hope this is not against the rules.

I have a plastic PI intake for sale. $25 plus shipping from 77459. The intake is left over from a Windsor/Romeo engine swap. The engine it came from (2000 Mustang GT) ran strong up until the time the timing chains gave out. Does not leak.

PM me if interested.

+1 on not doing the head shave. The PI swap is going to raise the compression by a full point anyway (premium fuel recommend). The 4.6 modular is sensitive to changes in CR. Shaving may raise CR to the point that a custom tune would be needed to just make it drivable. Beside, if it becomes necessary to take out timing to keep pinging/detonation at bay, doesn’t that defeat the purpose of a having a higher compression engine?

Some other posters may chime in to say that premium fuel is not required after a PI swap. All I can say is "YMMV".