2005 Alternator issues

Lildav

Mar 28, 2024
Markdale ON
I have a 2005 mustang and a few months back the battery was boiling, and the light bulbs would blow after an hour of use. Now the battery is fine but the radio keeps shutting itself off and then i lose all power to my gauges, speedometer, rpms, fuel. They will be off for about a minute, then turn back on for a minute. I tested the alternator and i was getting 14.5v but then it would randomly jump up to like 19.5v and thats when the radio would shut off. So is this a voltage regulator issue? If so is the regulator inside the alternator or can i just buy a new regulator and pop it on the outside?

• Sponsors (?)

If the voltage jumps to 19.5v then your alternator is most certainly the problem. In modern vehicles, having the proper voltage is critical for many systems and erratic voltage can cause all kinds of weird problems. My alternator stopped charging completely a few months ago. It is very easy to replace an alternator on the 4.6L 3V engines. It took me about 20-30 minutes and I was taking my time. I recommend installing a Motorcraft alternator.