2007...iPod connection

tostang

Jun 26, 2006
T.O., Canada
Hi guys. After amost 3 months my 2007 Alloy GT finally arrived at the dealership! I'll be picking my baby up on Thursday. I have a few questions:

I'm no "technophile or audiophile" but I do own an "iPod Shuffle". It's a mini 512mb iPOD that holds 120 songs. I usually only use it if I need to take the train or fly. Since my '07 has an Aux jack, I'd like to be able to use my iPOD in my car from time to time.

My questions are:

1. I assume that I need some sort of cable. Which one, and where can I get it? The iPOD website is not helping me in my search.
2. Apart from the cable, do I need to buy anything else?
3. I assume that the required cable would connect via the earbud/headphone jack on the iPOD, is that correct?

Thanks in advance.
P.

• Sponsors (?)

You need to buy the standard cord that plugs into you headphone jack called a mono audio cord that has a male connecter on both ends. You can get them for less than ten dollars at radio shack or any electronics store. The cord is all that you need to get going.

You need a STEREO patch cable, not a mono cable.

It should have a male stereo mini-plug on each end. Length is up to you, but I chose 3 foot because the 6 foot was just too long. Most stores carry only the 6 foot length: I got my 3 footer on Ebay for $3.25 plus shipping.

When you get it, I'd love to know what you think of the sound quality. I changed head units and have a direct connection to my ipod.
Should I someday buy another new Mustang (I have an '05) I'd like to know what the sound is like with the stock head unit and the aux input. Thanks.

i went with these two units, and it has worked great, only downfall is you have to use the ipod controlls to change the music, but it isnt that bad, the sound has been great and it charges your ipod.

http://www.logjamelectronics.com/piefrd04aux.html
http://www.logjamelectronics.com/pieunipod.html

here is a post of where i mounted the ipod
http://www.jimplummer.smugmug.com/gallery/1851716/2/92873235

i mounted the units behind the power outlet, above the radio, and ran the ipod connector through the center console, and into the center armrest storage, there is a door in there you can pop out to get the wire through.

jim

stanmckinney said:
When you get it, I'd love to know what you think of the sound quality..... I'd like to know what the sound is like with the stock head unit and the aux input. Thanks.
Sound quality with the Shaker 500 is good, but you have to turn up the volume on both the iPod and the radio considerably from the normal radio/CD volume setting to get a decent sound level from the iPod. As long as you keep the volume control on the iPod under 75% or so, you won't have any degradation in sound quality.

I was asking specifically about the new factory input. I installed an Alpine with ipod connections. It sounds better than CDs and controls the ipod from the head unit. It also charges it and turns the ipod on and off. I never touch the ipod unless I want to update it from my computer.

Thanks guys!

I bought a cord today. Unfortunately, they only had a 6 ft. length.
I pick the car up tomorrow (finally, thank GOD!!!). I'll (try to) post pics and I will let y'all know how the iPOD sounds as well.

Thanks again.
P.

tostang said:
Off topic; but why is it that sometimes my signature appears and other times it doesn't? I don't ever modify my profile! What gives???

Just curious. Does it happen to anyone else?
are you using quick reply? if so, make sure the "show your sig" box is checked.

tostang said:
I pick the car up tomorrow (finally, thank GOD!!!). I'll (try to) post pics and I will let y'all know how the iPOD sounds as well.

Thanks again.
P.
Pick up the car yet Tostang? I'm anxious to see what an iPod hooked up to it looks like.

IT'S HOME!!!

Guys (and Ladies). I FINALLY HAVE THE CAR!!! I'm so freakin' stoked. This Car absolutely ROCKS! It's 1000 times better and more refined than I thought. The turning radius is sweet! The ride is extremely comfy. The Shaker 500 sounds great! For those who said that changing the head unit makes the stereo sound better, I really see no need to for now.

It took me and the sales rep. a few minutes to find the iPOD connection. I didn't know that it was buried inside the armrest box. I expected it to be on the head unit, or console etc. BTW, the iPOD sounds amazing via the "aux" connection!

And before anyone posts the typical "THIS THREAD IS USELESS WITHOUT PICS" banner (you know who you are), :nice: keep in mind that I picked this car up around 6:30 and by the time I left the stealership, it was after 7 and already getting dark. I'll take pics tomorrow. BTW, I still don't know how to post a pic....I'll figure it out.

Thanks to all of my 'stang bretheren for your advice and help!

signed (a happy new-stang owner),
P.

The plug is in the console right?? Armrest to me could mean that thing on your driver's left where you rest your arm.
I thought the Shaker 500 sounded great too, until I heard a different head unit.
Enjoy your car.

There's a device available from Ford but I believe it is an fm modulator and not a direct hookup to the head unit. I gave up and bought and Alpine for mine. Good luck. I like factory too but for the 2005 it proved to be quite difficult and expensive. Another head unit with ipod connection and controls in the unit can be purchased for less than $200.

With a six foot cord, you could...

tostang said:

Thanks again.
P.
Wow... you can put your shuffle in the trunk now if you want to. :rlaugh: Congrats on your car. It sounds sweet and I can't wait to have that stoked feeling you have when I break down and finally make a purchase.