245/50/16 nittos

Hi im going to the track all weekend, my car is pretty stock and I picked up some used 245/50/16 nitto dr's theyre almost bald but supposevely they hook nice when worn down, I removed my backseat and tire jack etc saved about 91 lbs im keeping my sway bar in....anyways my question is how hard can I launch with these tires, slip the clutch at which rpm? or dump it at which rpm? I have a stock clutch I think aswell as stock clutch cable and quadrant. What should the tire pressure be also??

Thanks for any help im a newbie when it comes to drag radials. :canada:

• Sponsors (?)

well on an old car we ran 15psi on 15 inch rims, and could leave at 3500-3700 on a pretty much bone stock car, minus gears, mass air, tb. it seemed to work pretty well for what it was

16psi on a 7in. rim here for the strip.

It really does depend on the power lever and how your suspension and slipping take place.

Do a 5-7 second burnout. 1st gear burnout if you have stock gears...but if you have 3:55's or steeper do a second gear burnout.

I do 11-12psi. Use first gear for your burn outs because your sig does not list that you have gears. USE the water box. Its there to help strain on your drivetrain when you do the initial burn out clutch dump. You just have to practice. No one can tell you how to do it, you have to teach yourself. I'm on my 2nd set of nitto dr's and they've been great. I used to consistantly cut 1.8's all day with weak launches.

I run mine at 18 psi. the nittos side walls are to stiff and you may loose some contact patch with less pressure. I tried all forms of launching and burn out. Everthing from long 2nd gear burn outs to trying to launch as high as 3500 rpms. Because my car is lowered a good bit I found that a short 1st. gear burn out, and driving it out of the hole with just a little slip of the clutch is what works best for me. My best 60ft so far has been 1.94 (NA). My friend who watch the car at the line say that I have allmost no weight transfer.

Copperstang87 said:
sweet, yes I have stock 3:08 gears I jacked my car up and checked by spinning the tire one rotation and counting how many times the driveshaft spins. Im hoping for low 14's and I will be happy :D

My friend went 14.13 @ 99.8 with stock 2.73's on 17" street tires with just longtubes, offroad H, flowmasters and pulleys. Stock T5 and stock shifter as well. Full weight over 3400lbs with driver with a stereo in the trunk. Just to give you an idea.

just4bob50 said:
I run mine at 18 psi. the nittos side walls are to stiff and you may loose some contact patch with less pressure.

I agree...when you start dropping the pressure down to much (since they are still a "street tire") the inside of the tire starts to "lift" and the outsides have more contact than the inside. You want an even patch of rubber for most even contact.

well I got my times this weekend my best is a 14.8 @ 92 MPH same as my old 87 GT ran, I couldnt seem to ever get my 60' under 2.3 i tried dumping at 4k and slipping the clutch at 1500 and it didnt work im lookin to get some gears and a 150 shot of nitrous over the winter:D

ps: on my way home off the expressway i was at a stop and i dumped the clutch at 3k and got instant traction after a small chirp and even dumping it at 3k on the track just made me spin im gonna get slicks for next yr thats for sure!!

Nitto DR's suck. I could leave off the line at 5500RPM, full throttle and a 150 shot with my BFG Drag Radials, and it would dead hook. Nitto's are good for the street when you want a little more traction... They're not great strip tires though.