24mm or 50mm? Pics please?

BlueRuckus

Jun 30, 2005
Miami, FL
I am looking into getting some 18" Saleen replicas and I came across some info i'm not clear on. I was hoping you guys could help. :shrug:

I saw on wheelreplicas.com that they have 18 x 9 with a 24mm offset and 18 x 9 with a 50mm offset. Can anyone tell me where the difference is? Is it on the lip? Does the center of the star curve back and sit in deeper in the rim? The website's pics don't really show a difference.

Does anyone have pics of these different types?

Thanks for any input.

Here's what i'm talking about. http://www.wheelreplicas.com/saleen.html

• Sponsors (?)

well the closets thing i can relate that too is with the brembo brake kit they require a 50mm outward spcing from the hub to be able to fit their 4 piston set up.. as an example if you got the 24mm you wounldn't be able to fit this brake system with out getting wheel spacers to match the 50mm required. hope this helps out a little

Yes, i think it does. If I understand it correctly, then that mesurement is the thickness of the center hub. Like you said, for example, like if you added a spacer.

So a 50mm offset would make the wheel stick out further then a 24mm. Some one please correct me if this is wrong.

Thanks for the insight, 03ghoststang! :nice:

Here is my car with 18x9 Saleen replica's 24mm spacing
Sorry pictre is so big...also for a few other pics go here:

http://community.webshots.com/myphotos?action=viewAllPhotos&albumID=310375103

406892875ZBRfNf_fs.jpg

BlueRuckus said:
I am looking into getting some 18" Saleen replicas and I came across some info i'm not clear on. I was hoping you guys could help. :shrug:

I saw on wheelreplicas.com that they have 18 x 9 with a 24mm offset and 18 x 9 with a 50mm offset. Can anyone tell me where the difference is? Is it on the lip? Does the center of the star curve back and sit in deeper in the rim? The website's pics don't really show a difference.

Does anyone have pics of these different types?

Thanks for any input.

Here's what i'm talking about. http://www.wheelreplicas.com/saleen.html

wow they didn't have the 50mm (for 9") backspacing when i ordered, now you can have the option of running the 10inch in the rear of having a wider track with a 50 offset

I am not a fan of offset. It is not much use when changin to different width wheels.

To figure out the difference, you need a calculator. But inthis case you can get pretty close in your head.

Offset is the difference between the center of the wheel and where the hub and the wheel bolt together.

To convert this to backspacing, add 1" to the wheel width and divide by 2. This is the center of the wheel.

Now take the offset and divide it by 25.4 to convert it to inches.

Add that to the number that is the center of the wheel. That's your bakspacing.

9"+1" = 10"/2 = 5" + (25.4 x 25mm) = 5.984" back space
9"+1" = 10"/2 = 5" + (25.4 x 50mm) = 6.968" back space (this is the 2005 backspace for 9" wheels I believe BTW)

So 50mm would place the wheel way inside and liekly create clearance issues with inner wheel wells or suspension parts.

As positive offset gets bigger, the wheel goes further in. As negitive offset get's bigger the wheel goes out. And as soon as you start lookign at wheel sizes other than stock you need backspace not offset.

Well I guess that brings this thread to a screeching halt! :doh:
Didn't even see that. Thanks for pointing that out. :nice:

Thanks for all the info though. I learned something today.:SNSign:
Thanks for the detailed explination TJM73! Very interesing.