$2500

• Sponsors (?)

i would start with a 331 stroker kit, budget ones are available for around $800. from there;
cam: ford motorsport E-303
heads: world products windsor sr
intake: either the weiand stealth or the performer rpm
carb: a good 600 cfm carb, i prefer the edelbrock or the road demon carbs.

with judicious shopping you should be able to get the parts for less than $2000, leaving $500 for machine work and balancing(forget blueprinting as it isnt worth the money for a street engine). this combo should make around 350-375hp at the flywheel while being a fairly docile daily driver engine.

rbohm said:
i would start with a 331 stroker kit, budget ones are available for around $800. from there;
cam: ford motorsport E-303
heads: world products windsor sr
intake: either the weiand stealth or the performer rpm
carb: a good 600 cfm carb, i prefer the edelbrock or the road demon carbs.

with judicious shopping you should be able to get the parts for less than $2000, leaving $500 for machine work and balancing(forget blueprinting as it isnt worth the money for a street engine). this combo should make around 350-375hp at the flywheel while being a fairly docile daily driver engine.
WINNAR!

Ebay and local advertiser: Got a used 351W for $125. New Victor JR heads w/ 7/16 roller rockers $950, performer 351 intake $40. 351 conversion headers for 66 stang $50, oil pan $30, Victor JR water pump $150, 650 speed demon $250, trick flow stage 1 roller cam, $50, had to get the roller lifters with tie bars ebay $320. got rotating assembly local, fresh cut crank, eagle rods KB pistons .40, summit for push rods $90, Leaves $250+/-. That wouldn't cover machining block for pistons but I'm close. And I pieced a Vortech 12# kit together from ebay for under $700. Took about a year or waiting for the right parts to become available but I'm having fun.

Use the stock crank, get a good set of aftermarket rods, pistons of your choice, heads of your choice. Intake? Ford A321, Edelbrock F4B, Performer RPM ( std or air gap) Cam? I'm running a Ford Z303 with 1.7 rockers in my 331, idles at 700 rpms. Cost me $116 ( new but never used, bought it here in the SN classifieds) The stroker kit will put you over budget.

89CopCoupe said:
Read a stroker build-up article a little while ago about these "budget kits" and according to MMFF they are supposed to be some pretty decent parts.

www.propowerparts.com ........ (954) 491-6988 FL
or page 119 in your January issue of MMFF
I went with a "budget" 331 stroker kit also, including the purchase price of the std bore 5.0 roller block ( $50) the total cost of the kit, boring, clearancing the block for the rods and balancing was $1400. Add a set of aftermarket heads and that's putting you at your limit of $2500. You still have to include the cost of your intake, carb, headers, and other misc. parts to finish it. This can easily add up to another $500-1000. I've got $4000 in my 331 including the 3x2 intake and carbs. You can figure about $500 less ( $3500 if I'd went with a single 4 bbl carb and intake.

I already own the intake carb and full exhaust is the rest that im trying to get together now.

I have been looking at "budget" kits but the compression ratios listed seem to be in the 9's where I would really like it up in the high 10's.

Hearne, where did you get your parts from?

one2gamble said:
I already own the intake carb and full exhaust is the rest that im trying to get together now.

I have been looking at "budget" kits but the compression ratios listed seem to be in the 9's where I would really like it up in the high 10's.

Hearne, where did you get your parts from?
I got mine from a local race motor builder, Doucet Motorsports, in Lawtell La. The compression ratio with 57 cc heads is 10.4 to 1. Crank is a cast steel Eagle one, the rods are Eagle's SIR's, pistons are forged SRP's. The rest of the kit is made up of Clevite bearings, and the rings, ( can't recall the brand, but they were name brand)