281 to a 302 stroker

mustanggt3685

Oct 8, 2005
Illinois
Hey guys,

I was looking at a stroker kit that would turn my 4.6 into a 302, 5.0. Anyone have any experience with this? What did you think of the results? It is half as cheap as a S/C and a lot cheaper than a turbo set up. The kit I am looking at is around 2k, and I would do the install myself of course, so no labor costs. Good idea or not?

• Sponsors (?)

its not gonna do you much good with that NPI intake and Non ported heads and stock cams. Even if you had those, the power gains are minimal...thats why you don't see alot of guys with them. Its not like the 5.0 where you really gained HP and Tq by stroking to 331 etc. Save for the blower.

Oh and those Gtech #'s in your sig are off by atleast 50rwhp...i'd take that off before you get the BS called on you.

I went with a 302 stroker kit because my engine was blown and had to be rebuilt anyway. It adds a little torque, but not enough to justify the expense unless you are doing a rebuild anyway.

droptopponynj said:
its not gonna do you much good with that NPI intake and Non ported heads and stock cams. Even if you had those, the power gains are minimal...thats why you don't see alot of guys with them. Its not like the 5.0 where you really gained HP and Tq by stroking to 331 etc. Save for the blower.

Oh and those Gtech #'s in your sig are off by atleast 50rwhp...i'd take that off before you get the BS called on you.

Ill call bs right now and say that gtech is off by way more than 50rwhp.:bs:

I lost boost due to the stroker kit and ported heads. I was at 10 pounds on 3.33 pulley before the stroker kit with 350 HP. After the stroker kit ported heads, new comp cams, LT RR intake and 5 pounds of boost I was at 450 HP. I currently have a intercooler installed and a 2.80 RR pulley and am making 10 pounds of boost again but I think my s-trim is maxed. I have not dynoed the car yet to see where the HP is but the bottom line is if your going with a stroker you'll want a larger blower than an S trim.

White Stang said:
I lost boost due to the stroker kit and ported heads. I was at 10 pounds on 3.33 pulley before the stroker kit with 350 HP. After the stroker kit ported heads, new comp cams, LT RR intake and 5 pounds of boost I was at 450 HP. I currently have a intercooler installed and a 2.80 RR pulley and am making 10 pounds of boost again but I think my s-trim is maxed. I have not dynoed the car yet to see where the HP is but the bottom line is if your going with a stroker you'll want a larger blower than an S trim.
Of course you lost boost with those mods. That's because you got more air flow. Air flow makes horsepower, not boost. Boost is a measure of restriction to air flow.

Jim, after your motor was blown you built the stroker motor right ? If everything stayed the same with the blower and accesories etc. About how much more torque can you estimate in your application ? I need a rebuild on a supercharged 4.6 and understand the slight change in the price of parts for the added 20 cu in. What about the modifications to the the block or any other issues ?

Mark8Denny said:
Jim, after your motor was blown you built the stroker motor right ? If everything stayed the same with the blower and accesories etc. About how much more torque can you estimate in your application ? I need a rebuild on a supercharged 4.6 and understand the slight change in the price of parts for the added 20 cu in. What about the modifications to the the block or any other issues ?
That was almost two years ago, so I don't really remember. I think I picked up 30 or 40 rwtq and maybe lost a little rwhp. There really were no other issues.

stroker 4.6

Does it rev any differently ? The rod ratio drops down to a lesser desirable ratio. How about bobweight total , is it a lighter or heavier reciprocating mass ? I imagine the pistons have a shorter pin height and the rods are shorter also ? Also did it change the tune much ? Thanks , Dennis

stroker or not

well I need a rebuild , my stock long block made 355 RWHP and 325 RWTQ till it snapped the rod mid beam. expected for 140,000 mile MK8 motor , but anyway I did the math to check the changes in the rod ratio. I also race other brands and my other engines with great torque bands have higher rod ratios and I am a believer in that idea.(a 4.6 stroker just lowers it from stock). I am already using a 3.33 pulley on a S trim Vortech and think I may spend the extra couple hundo's on some other parts I would have to buy anyway. My Mark comes out of the hole like a turbo car and that would save the rear axles anyway, If I wanted to dump the clutch I would have kept my 96 Cobra (too small inside). Thanks !!