289 crank

• Sponsors (?)

its the got the same journal sizes so it would work. but the stroke is something like 2.87 compared to the 3.0 of the 302 crank if you dont mind me asking, why are you thinking about putting a 289 crank in a 302 block

The crank will fit but you will have to have it machined and change your 50 oz harmonic balancer and flywheel for a 28 oz and change over to 289 rods which are a different length.

I thought the balance was different. A new flywheel and balancer is never a bad idea anyway. I'll be using stock 302 rods (shorter) and taller compression height pistons.

What is it that is going to need to be machined if the main and rod journals are the same diameter?

All 289s have a 2 piece rear main seal. Late model 5.0s have a 1 piece. The rear of the crank is machined differently.
289 crank in a 302 block will give you only 289 cubes {stock bore} regardless of rod length or piston height.

What needs to be done to the crank for it to fit the 1 piece rear main. Conversely, can I not use a 289 two piece rear main seal in my 302 block?
I do realize I'll have a 289 instead of a 302, that's fine.

Machine the oil slinger off the rear for the crankshaft to allow it to fit the 5.0 block!! a shop can do it , or IF you have a die grinder tou can do it!! Look at the 5.0 crankshaft.. and then the 289 crank!! cool?? the Pistons are going to WAY in the block!! make sure the compression height on the pistons will allow for all that depth!! cool?? Have fun...

Just me.........................

Thumper

Oh, thanks Thumper. Simply taking the oil slinger off is defanently not going to be a problem.
My junkyard special crank/rods/pistons combo will amazingly give a deck clearance exactly where I want it :)

I could go buy short rods but it defanently would not be a cheaper alternative. Consequently with the more rpm friendly 289 stroke and improved rod ratio I doubt I'll even miss the 13 cubes.

why wouldn't it be cheaper, to use the 289 stuff you need the different flywheel or have yours rebalanced, different balancer, plus you need to grind or machine the oil slinger ring. the other alternative just includes buying rods. i do love the 289 though

In order to use a 302 crank I would need to order custom length connecting rods. Or stock rods and custom pistons.
Either way custom = $$$.
A balancer I would buy even if it was just a stock rebuild so I don't consider that any additional expense.
Rebalancing a flywheel actually isn't very expensive.

And like Thumper said, I can do the crank myself.