3.35 or 2.95 T5?

bcmbcmbcm

Dirt-Old 20+Year Member
Jan 29, 2003
Hey folks,

I am thinking of doing a T5 swap after all. I can't make up my mind! (if I do, someone is gonna get a heck of a deal on my built AOD..)

anyway,

any thoughts on whats better, 2.95 or 3.35?

If I do the math correctly,
won't the .63 overdrive on the 2.95 box cruise at about 7% less rpms than the 3.35 box with the .68 o/d?

I am doing (.68-.63)/.68=7.3%

In my case, I do 2500rpm a 85mph, and 7.3% less would put me at 2320 rpms...I know it is just a couple hundred...and many people here run 3.73 rears, but I like low rpm cruising and this would put lower noise below the drone zone a bit....

But...if it makes for harder starting in 1st...mite not be worth it...as

Please let me know your thoughts!

• Sponsors (?)

What do you have, a 3.27 rear end gear ratio? My T-5 has the 3.35 first gear, and I run 3.45's in the rearend, and first gear is too high of a ratio (common term lower gears). So first gears runs out of steam too fast for me and I can't get as much traction, plus it is a little annoying only using first gear when you are absolutely stopped. Then the jump to 2nd is a big stretch, if I shift at 5500, I am looking at 3250 when I'm in second. My advice is to go with the 2.95 geared tranny with the lower rpm overdrive. First gear will definitely not be bad at all at 2.95

when i was running N/A i loved my 2.95 gearset

the OD was great. with 27" tall tires, 3.90s i am only turning 2000 RPM at 65 mph.

i could get first gear to hook alot easier.

there were no negative aspects of the 2.95 gearset at all i would highly reccomend it.

Lentech (locally built) with edge converter

what aod do you have(im interested)

It has less than 5k miles on it since the rebuild. A local shop which I know personally in Anaheim, CA rebuilt it with Lentech parts (their rebuild kit) and street terminator v/b (with electric o/d delete). I also have the fancy a$$ fabricated pan that cost $200 alone, and also an edge converter (lockup) Runs great, I am recluctant to tear it out as one can imagine! I bought the rebuild kit from lentech, I think this was $600 alone just for clutches, seals, etc, I forgot all the differences between an el cheapo kit but when I had it build Len convinced me it would be better. I filled it with Amsoil synthetic ATF at rebuild time and I have an aftermarket cooler which I bought from Len too that fits the fox real nicely. I even bought a new pump from Ford even though I didn't need it. The core was the original one and only had about 50k on it.
its a real sweet setup I just like f&Cking around with cars....