3.73 or 4.10.....for the 100th time...

I see this topic posted all the time on these forums, but I can't find one that I feel is suitable for me. I have a 92 Automatic 5.0 Mustang LX. Mods are bbk shorties and bbk off-road, blue superchip, CAI, and flowmasters. I think gears are next. As of right now, the car is my daily driver, but I am buying another car very soon, so that should change. At most, if I did have to drive on the highway, I would be going about 70 miles. I was also considering doing a t-5 swap eventually, but i'm still on the fence about that. The gears are the stock 2.73 I think it is. Would someone suggest 3.73's or 4.10's and why? I would think 3.73s are the safer bet, but If I can get away with the 4.10s with either tranny and not over-work my engine I would rather do that. Like I said, its not my daily driver, but there would be the times in the summer where I would drive it to the Jersey shore which is like 70 miles away. If 4.10s are going to hurt the motor with either a t-5 or an AOD i'm not too sure I want to do that.

• Sponsors (?)

My choice would be 3.73's but I'm conservative. Remember too that your two choices are pretty close together (highway RPM difference would be very close).

I'd check tire height and use a calculator to crunch numbers so you know exactly what you will see.

Now let me get this stuff out of the way (so it wont need to be proclaimed later):

Dont fear the gear.

Definately get the 4.56's. They're great for the DD at 75 mph on the highway.

If you get 3.73's you'll regret it.

If you get less than 4.XX, you'll kick yourself.

What are the other throw away comments? :D

Good luck.

ive got a set of 4.10's in mine, i rather like em. fuel mileage is down obviously (was 18-20, now around 15 but i also play around with it a lot more now, and it can get pretty wild sometimes.). if youre looking at a t5 as a definite thing, id say go with 3.73's, but i would consider the 4.10's more with a tko or something with a taller first gear if you really want a stick shift.

Had 3.73's in my 92' and it was my Daily Driver. Wish I had gone with 4.10 when was all said and done. I was just hitting 4th gear at the end of the trap with the 3.73's.

If your going to leave it a daily driver and leave the automatic tranny in, put in 4.10's. If your going to swap to a manual, go with 3.73's.

I have 3.73's in my car and I'm glad their in there. Then I drove in my friends '95 GT with 4.10's and yeah, that had little room in the gears, little topend.

If you are going to keep the car an auto then i would recomend the 4.10's since these gears will make up the difference of the power lose of the auto compared to the standard. if you are serious about the t-5 swap then go 3.73's. 3.73's are a very nice match to the t-5.

I'm in the same boat as you about which gears to get but everyone i seem to talk to tells me to go 4.10 since i drive an auto. I still am unsure think that its too much gear for dailiy Beatings i mean driving. I am going to suggest 4.10 just because that is what everyone suggested to me. Worst case is you start small and spend the money to move up in size. Just an idea.