3.73 or 4.10

• Sponsors (?)

5spd GT said:
The search is overrated and underrated.
HUH? :shrug:

5spd GT said:
Go with 373's or 3:55’s on a daily driver (that is my suggestion)...
But is this choice based on your 5.0?

Kilgore Trout said:
Do a search... go with the 4.10s
5spd GT said:
Your statement is a little oxymoronic...
How so? IF the original thread writer would DO a search, he or she would find the answer Kilgore provided. An oxymoron? Hardly! :nonono:

twogts4us said:

The search function can be good for "solid" answers. Like what is the stock gear ratio in a 99+ GT. For something less uniform, like what gear is best for HIS car...the search function doesn't provide info for HIS car. Other people's cars, whether they are close or not. Lots of searching around and fishing but no personal answers. Make sense?

twogts4us said:
But is this choice based on your 5.0?

That is based on his car...but happened to coincide with my 5.0L choice. How 'bout that. :nice:

twogts4us said:
How so? IF the original thread writer would DO a search, he or she would find the answer Kilgore provided. An oxymoron? Hardly! :nonono:

No he would not find that answer. As you can see the guy posted down his mods/goals for the car and how he drives it. How can you provide an answer (4:10's in this example) if he didn't know any info on the car. Think about it! That is an oxymoron. Telling him to get varying opinions (search) and getting one opinion (trout's). Looks "bitter sweet" to me...

Kilgore Trout said:
www.FordRacingParts.com does NOT even sell a 3.90 :shrug:

Here's what they have:
http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts/part_details.asp?PartKeyField=3630

I would never buy any ring and pinion set other than a Ford one. From what I have read the other brands are much more difficult to install and shim.

Since I've been in on most of the other identical threads, I guess I'll join this one.

Kilgore, I have installed Ford gears, Motive, and a couple of cheap no names, never saw any difference in the install. Some carriers seem to be a little more difficult to set up with any gear. 4.56 can be a real PITA because of the pin clearance in the carrier.

I love 4.10s, never thought twice about 3.73, thought often about 4.30s.

4.10s never caused a measurable loss in fuel mileage when I drove responsibly. You will stand in it more because it is fun. Ther goes the fuel.

UDTbadkarma : If you had 4.10s installed and didn't feel the difference, then I would guess that you either had them already or someone didn't put 4.10s in.
4.10s do not limit top speed. Drag does.