3.73's or 4.10's

'88Cobra

Oct 21, 2004
I have an '88 GT with the automatic AOD and stock rear end, and have had mixed advice on gear choices, but all from people who don't own a Stang. I want to know from people who actually own a Stang and have either 3.73's or 4.10's. I know either will wake up my car, but I'm not sure if 4.10's will be too much for highway driving? I don't do much highway driving but am curious what my rpm's will be at highway speeds with either? Also, does anybody know what the stock gear ratio might be? Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

My friend runs 4.10's in his 87 AOD GT daily driver. He doesn't complain and he is very happy with them over the 2.73's he had. Go 4.10, you'll be cruising around 2300-2500 on the highway which is not too high.

Grn92LX said:
My friend runs 4.10's in his 87 AOD GT daily driver. He doesn't complain and he is very happy with them over the 2.73's he had. Go 4.10, you'll be cruising around 2300-2500 on the highway which is not too high.

2300-2500 RPM at what speed though?

WhiteHeat306 said:
your stock gears should be 2.73s, and i would recommend you go with 4.10s. since your car is mostly stock you will notice more out of the 4.10s than the 3.73s but please do a search there is a lot of information in past posts about this subject.

I did search for past posts and you're right, thanks. I think the consensus is 4.10's, which I guess is what I wanted to hear. The quicker the better I guess, I just wanted to make sure that 4.10's would not be too much for the occasional highway driving I do.

Go with 373's so it will be more daily driver friendly and if you get boost/nitrous later you won't run out of gear at the track and you will have less traction problems. Some that have actually had both gears were slower at the track with 410's over 373's and some also claimed no seat of the pants difference.

I run 2400 rpm at 70mph (I have 373's) so I don't know how the 410's could run lower :p

Here is how I look at when picking gears for a daily driver...To me the gearing of 410's or steeper on a daily driver is not worth it to me...you get worse gas mileage/more engine wear/and use your shifting components more (clutch/trans/etc)...around town...and I also look at it like this...when your cruising on the highway at 80mph (interstate) your cruising at roughly 3000rpm with 410's...that is HALF your 302's revving capabilities and that is in the overdrived 5th gear at CRUISE...not at WOT...I personally don't like the idea of having half the engines revving capabilities at just cruise. Also...what if an emergency comes up and you got to "get it"...you have to be there for someone or are running to the hospital...and running higher than 80mph...maybe running 4500rpm steadily (faster than 80mph of course)...during that emergency I don't think that would be a good time for your engine to let go on you...what do you think?

Then you have to factor in 410's or steeper cause my engine braking at higher rpms on the highway...go pull out somewhere and hold your car to 2500rpm or so (worse with gears) and feel the engine try to slow you down when you let off the gas...same similar occurance happens on the highway/interstate plus the wind resistance.

I know when I had the slipping clutch problem I could smell the clutch burn at a higher rpm cruise which in my case was comparing 2000rpm to 2500rpm. At the lower rpm I didn’t smell it but the higher rpm I could smell it. Just some things to think about when you think you want every little tenth out of your car (4:10’s)…I prefer a better overall performance personally…

Go 373's...I would rather want more (373's to 410's) than get to much (410's) and want less (373's)...get what I'm saying?

Good Luck with your choice :nice:

I am glad David posted. a dialog (rather than group hug) is always nice. FWIW, David and I are of the same mind with gears (we dont think more is better).

realistically speaking, there is not a huge difference between the two you have suggested. there are other considerations however. do you ever take it to the track? do you drive hard at speed (i would not want to be wailing on it in OD). if you take it to the track, trap speed and gearing are a consideration (e.g. ive seen numerically-lower geared sticks be faster than comparable sticks with gears due to the geared guy needing to hit 4th rather than legging out 3rd gear). do you run a stockish wheel/tire height? that is another consideration.

AFAIK, automatics came with 2.73's and as options, 3.08s and 3.27's. best bet is to actually check the DS to wheel rotation ratio to make sure someone did not toss something mild in there already (which would skew the difference you are expecting).

and one thing which must not be a factor (or maybe only is on AODE's) is: i would want to know that the trans will shift before redline with 4.10's (I dont know for sure, but remember scuttlebutt about people smacking the limiter with the steep gears like 4.10's. i could be wrong). something to make sure of, in any case.

good luck.

I vote for the 3.73's. I'm running 3.55's with a 5 speed and cruise at 2250 RPM at 70 MPH. As it is, I'm at 5200 RPM at the end of the 1/4 mile, (Rev limiter set at 6000) and thats with a N/A motor. If I had to do it over I would have gone with the 3.73's. I think you'll get real tired of winding down the highway with the 4.10's.

I have one car now with 4:10's that isnt a daily driver and had one previously that had 4:10's that was my daily driver. Both 5 speed cars. My opinion is that with a T5, first gear is really short and can get a bit annoying on a driver. On a weekend cruiser, the 4:10 kick ass cause it will pull like you wouldnt believe. One the other hand I would not hesitate to run 4:10's in an AOD car, even a daily driver. I never found the 4:10's to rev too high for my liking on the highway.

MrKwik said:
I have one car now with 4:10's that isnt a daily driver and had one previously that had 4:10's that was my daily driver. Both 5 speed cars. My opinion is that with a T5, first gear is really short and can get a bit annoying on a driver. On a weekend cruiser, the 4:10 kick ass cause it will pull like you wouldnt believe. One the other hand I would not hesitate to run 4:10's in an AOD car, even a daily driver. I never found the 4:10's to rev too high for my liking on the highway.

Good weekend/daily driver comparo from some in the know:)

The problem with 410's in an AOD is you only have 3 gears to work with at the track (effective gears anyways) and the gears will get you out of those gears quicker and you could lose your gearing powerband at the track.

Also if they were to convert to a t5 (pretty popular actually) then they are "stuck" with the higher revving 410's...I hate the "winding out" sound on the highway with a gear like that...

5spd GT said:
Good weekend/daily driver comparo from some in the know:)

The problem with 410's in an AOD is you only have 3 gears to work with at the track (effective gears anyways) and the gears will get you out of those gears quicker and you could lose your gearing powerband at the track.

Also if they were to convert to a t5 (pretty popular actually) then they are "stuck" with the higher revving 410's...I hate the "winding out" sound on the highway with a gear like that...
agreed again. i wonder if people dont mind just running OD at WOT (not something i would want to do). :shrug:

it seems that few topics about cars are as *personal* as gears. some folks love revving and quick spooling and some dont. we should make people starting gear-threads post their likes/dislikes and desires and comfort levels (i.e. is taching around at C4-like revs while on the freeway alright). no one is more right than anyone else here - just a highly personal topic. :)