3.73s or o/r H pipe?

black 96 gt

Jun 10, 2008
solon, ohio
I've got a 2004 Mustang GT and was wondering which one of these mod's would show the best improvement at the track? I'm basically stock other than a CAI. The track open's at the end of the month and I'm hoping to start the year off in the high 13's.

• Sponsors (?)

http://www.stangnet.com/mustang-forums/746653-1-4-mile-track-progress.html

Gears will wake the 2v up quite a bit. The PI 2v lacks the torque that you might be used to. Gears will wake your car up quite a bit, and get your car in to the powerband quicker.

If you are racing your car at the track on street tires, 3.73's will help you out if you can slip the clutch and get traction. The one problem with this gear is, you will be shifting the car from 3-4 right before the traps. It is really not the best gear for the 1/4. I would suggest 4.10's for the track with a drag radial.

An offroad H Pipe is worth a solid .1-.2 gain, and 1-2mph in the quarter. You will gain 5-10rwhp, and you will drop quite a bit of weight over the stock mid pipe.

I would start out with the h pipe. You will gain ET and MPH, and will like the improved sound, which I am sure you are aware of. Gears would be the next mod after the mid pipe, followed by pulleys and a timing adjuster.

With an offroad h pipe, gears, pulleys, timing adjuster, and drag radials, you will have a low 13 second car.

http://www.stangnet.com/mustang-forums/746653-1-4-mile-track-progress.html

Gears will wake the 2v up quite a bit. The PI 2v lacks the torque that you might be used to. Gears will wake your car up quite a bit, and get your car in to the powerband quicker.

If you are racing your car at the track on street tires, 3.73's will help you out if you can slip the clutch and get traction. The one problem with this gear is, you will be shifting the car from 3-4 right before the traps. It is really not the best gear for the 1/4. I would suggest 4.10's for the track with a drag radial.

An offroad H Pipe is worth a solid .1-.2 gain, and 1-2mph in the quarter. You will gain 5-10rwhp, and you will drop quite a bit of weight over the stock mid pipe.

I would start out with the h pipe. You will gain ET and MPH, and will like the improved sound, which I am sure you are aware of. Gears would be the next mod after the mid pipe, followed by pulleys and a timing adjuster.

With an offroad h pipe, gears, pulleys, timing adjuster, and drag radials, you will have a low 13 second car.

You answered my question and more. I think your right about the H pipe being the best choice. The car is a little to quiet for me anyways. As for the gears would the 3.73s do anything in the 1/4? 4.10s are a little too much for all the highway driving i do. Thanks for the info.

That's what I'm afraid of. I just don't know if i want to lose all the top end.

The difference in top-end performance between 4.10's and your STOCK gears is not much at all. The difference in top-end between 3.73's and 4.10's is neglegable.

Besides, its not how fast you can go.....its how fast you can get there.

DONT FEAR THE GEAR

Dont waste your money on 3.73's.....after only a day you'll be saying, "WHY THE HELL DIDNT I GET 4.10's"

+1

4.10s really arent that bad on the i-state with the low overdrive of 5th, mine pushes around 2500 doing 70mph

In 5th, at 75 mph I'm at 2500 rpm. Easy to remember, 75 at 25.

To the OP, start with the h pipe. Cheap to buy, easy to install, and will give us time to convince you that 4.10 gears really are better than 3.73s :D

:flag:

+1 i have 4.30's now, and might go to 4.56's or 4.88's, with my 430's, the car will still do 150+mph....

4.88s? That is one I didn't even know existed.

Op, keep in mind when you get gears you have to reflash your Ecu. But If I were you I'd get the gears first. I'd save the H-pipe for when you're getting headers.