3/8 or 1/2 Extension Bar/Swivel for X-Pipe Install?

Black03

Jul 5, 2003
San Diego, CA
I have an x-pipe coming and will be installing it along with the s/c next week and have read on here many times that an extension bar and swivel joint helpt a ton.

Just can't find anywhere if it a 3/8" or 1/2"

I have a full set of sockets for both sizes. Thanks for the help!

• Sponsors (?)

3/8 would be better easier to get up in past the bellhousing and starter on the passenger side. I used a 1/2 to 3/8 adaptor so I could impact one of the bolts off worked pretty good although I wouldn't recommend this with a cheap tool as they might snap pretty easily

Isaac-1 said:
several of the short 3/8 ones stacked together worked best for me (like the ones that always come in cheap socket sets), they gave just enough flex without having a universal swivel flopping around.

Ike
That's what we did too, we had like a 3/8" to 1/2" adapter to a swivel, to an extension, etc. lol

The 3/8 may be easier to get up in there. I installed an off-road X pipe on my buddies S281 and one of the passenger side bolts was on there extremly tight. I broke a 3/8 in. extension trying to get it off. I had to use a 1/2 in. extension with one of those universal joint extentions on top of that to get a good angle on it. That worked. I think when I did my GT I just used a 3/8 in. I think that maybe Saleen put it on w/o anti-seeze or something...cause they take off the H to weld in an X on the stock mid-pipe. Maybe when the put it back on they torqed it too tight. Whatever you do make sure you have are on the bolt evenyl so you dont round it off. That would become difficult to remove if the head was stripped.

Also,

You might consider a wobble extension (just like the name it allows the socket to wobble a little on the extension)- it will allow you to get some leverage on the socket without slipping like a universal joint type sometimes will - it worked for me. :shrug:

If you use a swivel, chances are a deep socket won't work. You need more of a medium well socket. That might just be the case if you use 1/2 inch stuff (like i did).
On the one nut, the deep socket and the swivel won't fit. If you use 3/8, the deep may fit.

Jay