3.89's or 4.10's better for 18" wheels?

jaymac

Feb 18, 2004
Northern Mass
I'm going with 18" y2k cobra's on an AOD 88. My question before I get my gears done next weekend is will 3.89's or 4.10's offer an advantage over 3.73's, seeing as a plus-size wheel will apparently slow the car down a bit?
I rarely do highway driving, and when I do, I rarely see over 75 mph, so cruising rpm aren't TOO much of a concern, nor is top end speed for the track. basically, I want to know if either of the ratios will make up for acceleration lost with 18" wheels.
Thanks all,
Jeremy

• Sponsors (?)

Never heard of 389's...you probably mean 390's...

410's would give you a bit better acceleration...but I would keep the 373's...it is a good all around good gear to have... :nice:

I'd never heard of 3.89's either, until I read about them in the latest MM&FF in a letter to Bernie, someone mentioned hearing about 3.89's and Ken acknowledged them... so I guess they're real... Either way, I'm pretty sure the tire height will DEFINATELY not be the same, as the stock is 225/60/15, and I'll be using 255/40/18. I could be mistaken, but I'm pretty sure they'll be bigger. :shrug:
I figured 3.73's were the perfect AOD gear for stock tires, but w/ 18's, I 'm wondering if 4.10's wouldn't make up for the bit of pickup I'm losing from increased diameter...

AOD-Get the 4.10s.

5 speed-GET THE 4.10s!

It's like they said above, if you have a stock sized diameter rim/tire package, it doesnt matter what your rim size is if it equals out as the same as a stock package then you'll get the typical results of each gear.

So lets say your 18s end up being a little taller than the typical stock size combo. This means that you're actually going to feel a slight LOSS in gear, because the larger tires require more distance to make one complete revolution, which sort of evens out the gear ration. If you ended up with a smaller than stock size combo, such as a 15/R50 setup like i have, then you'll feel a GAIN in gear, which is why my 4.10s almost feel like a 4.30.

If you had 3.90s and a short tire, it would feel more like a 4.10
If you had 3.73s and a tall tire, it would feel more like a 3.55

Make sense? I say get the taller tires/rims to fill those wheel wells, then get the 4.10s.

Cool, makes sense..so 4.10' s it is... now, a question for you 88 : I see you have the a/c delete kit and short belt? i was about to order an a/c delete from UPR today. Now, with your delete kit, is there still a pulley there? or no? If so, what size belt are you running and did you eliminate any other accessories? Thanks,
jeremy