3-core radiators rule

so i just got my 3-core radiator in the other day, i had the stocker in (worked for 15 years) haha! anyways, i was idling in traffic and my temp guage went down below the first notch. this is the first time i've ever seen that happen, now i know how innacurate the stock guages are, but the temp guage always used to stay between the first and the second notch...closer to the second...sometimes over if i drive on the highway in heat. Anyways, today was an 80 degree day and i was idling and it dropped below the first guage. i recommend everyone get a 3-core radiator. mine costed a whole 149$ SHIPPED.

3 CORE RADIATORS RULE!

• Sponsors (?)

I have a new 3 core, and driving about 60MPH in 5th, and the guage said 130 for about 20 mins. It went back up when I came back into the city. But then I got back out on the country and it dropped again. It was about 80* also that day, not humid. After the second time it was 130, it stayed for a while, I'm not sure how long. I only remember looking at it later and it was back between the first two notches.

_JB_ said:
I have a new 3 core, and driving about 60MPH in 5th, and the guage said 130 for about 20 mins. It went back up when I came back into the city. But then I got back out on the country and it dropped again. It was about 80* also that day, not humid. After the second time it was 130, it stayed for a while, I'm not sure how long. I only remember looking at it later and it was back between the first two notches.

I wouldn't trust that gauge if it's reading 130 degrees. If you have a 180 degree thermostat, the coldest the engine will ever get is 180 degrees. Once it reaches this point it closes so no coolant can reach the radiator to cool.

Anyway, i got my 3-core from Autozone for $140ish. Really good unit made by GDI. With this radiator, a SN95 electric fan and a 180 stat, my car stays rock solid at 183-187 degrees even during a couple 100+ degree days. Never gets any warmer than that. I'm using an accurate Autometer mechanical temp gauge. FYI, the stock gauge never moves even if i shut the fan off to purposely let the temps climb to 200+. Don't trust that thing at all, get an aftrmarket gauge.

Mustang5L5 said:
Anyway, i got my 3-core from Autozone for $140ish. Really good unit made by GDI. With this radiator, a SN95 electric fan and a 180 stat, my car stays rock solid at 183-187 degrees even during a couple 100+ degree days. Never gets any warmer than that. I'm using an accurate Autometer mechanical temp gauge. FYI, the stock gauge never moves even if i shut the fan off to purposely let the temps climb to 200+. Don't trust that thing at all, get an aftrmarket gauge.

I also have a 3-core, but it's from Modine. I liked the quality of finish on the Modine unit a lot better. It cost about $200, but looks like a stocker. I'll have the results as soon as it is installed this week.

I had a Modin 3 row for 8 years. Pretty good radiator. I was looking for a Northern that my friend uses locally. It is a thick 2 row, but he has a 14:1 motor and has no problem cooling at all. I was looking for this radiator, but unfortunately I was in a big hurry and nobody supplied it locally. Ater several hours of searching for one, nothing. So, I was forced to buy Steeda which is local here. They have a double flow 2 row radiator that they use on their road course cars. It is a copper/bronze radiator, but it has every fitting and clips to drop directly in and hold a stock shroud. I do not run a thermostat, and the car is not a daily driver, but it does cool awesome. Without the fan running on a 1/4 mile pass, it does not increase in temp and will cool off 15 degrees by the time I get back to the pits with my electric fan. I have never been a big fan of Steeda since they are overpriced and overrated, but when I called them as my last resource, I am VERY surprised at the quality of the radiator and the price. However, for those looking for a GREAT radiator and want aluminum, Northern radiator out of I believe Minnesota has custom made ones for 5.0s that are about $300 with an auto tranny cooler. This one that I bought from Steeda was $220. www.Northernfactory.com is where to look for the nice aluminum one that fits on a 5.0.

A good radaitor makes the difference. A good fan also helps. I remember back when I had A/C, I was sitting in traffic with the A/C running with stock cooling only a 180* tstat and a worn out fan clutch. The heat went almost into the red. Even moving I had to keep the A/C off and I dropped by the local PepBoys and picked up the "maximum cooling" 3 Core GDI and after that the needle never went past half way.

Heat is a big enemy for your engine. Especailly when your temps are constantly fluxing. Mine now goes to about 190* and never moves. Summer/Winter/Highway/Traffic.

Mustang5L5 said:
I wouldn't trust that gauge if it's reading 130 degrees. If you have a 180 degree thermostat, the coldest the engine will ever get is 180 degrees. Once it reaches this point it closes so no coolant can reach the radiator to cool.

Yeah I didn't really belive it because I do have a 180* themo. and I thought there was no way it could drop that low. Unless I didn't run a thermo.