3 questions... PLEASE HELP

FastBlack5.0

Sep 11, 2005
Ok so I drive a 95 Cobra and I have a few questions concerning performance upgrades on my car. I know that next I’m going with 3.73’s and maybe some long tube headers after that, but I am wanted in gain a little info on throttle body size, cams, and porting my upper and lower intake. My first question is I have a 65mm throttle body with a 73mm MAF, would it help me to upgrade to a bigger one or will I be fine for a while? I am sure I can get one or trade mine and if it would help make a few more horsepower then I would think about doing it. Next, if with the mods I have now (in sig) and I just installed a cam like the Crane 2031 or E-303 cam how much more horsepower and torque would I see? Cams aren’t very much and I could find someone to install it for me so if it would help a lot I would do it. My last question is if I got my upper and lower intake ported would I see and HP or TQ gain? I heard that it helps out some, but I was just wondering how much. Any and all comments are welcome. Thanks guys :)

• Sponsors (?)

Stock cobra TB is a 60mm. You want to make power the cam won't help you a lot and well there aint a lot more you can do to utilize the cobra intake other than the stock cam an E cam or the 2031 is just gonna shift your power band up a lil high in the rpms. Keep you TB till you wnat to change intake cause the tb and intake openings are matched as is stock. Not really gonna get a gain like you would if you had a intake with a bigger opening where the TB mounts. In all you wanna make power do a H/C/I swap. It will keep ya happy for a lil while atleast.

Don't waste money on a throttle body right now. Don't waste time on doing JUST a cam either. Either get your GT40's ported, or sell them and buy some different heads. Then throw in a bigger cam while you're at it. That intake is a good intake already, maybe get it ported, and you're looking at some nice power there. Most h/c/i combos run right near the 300rwhp mark. LT's will help you get there too.

I too would say to stay with the 65mm TB. If you go SC or H/C/I swap then I would do the TB. But like WhiteVenom was getting at, you will either need to go to a different intake with bigger TB mounting flange for a 70 or 75 or grind out the cobra. As far as the cam you will see some benifit but if you plan on doing heads in the future save your money and buy it all at once and buy once, not twice. As far as porting the intake, I believe the upper should be fine as the restiction is in the lower. TMOSS can hook you up with the porting and would know more about it than me but that cobra intake is pretty good stock but with some room to improve it. So if it came down to money you could port it over buying an aftermarket one. However I sold my stock cobra intake for $365 on ebay, that a huge chunck toward an aftermarket one. So think it over you have alot of options but just remember that Cobra intake is worth money and can help you purchase the new parts.

I wanted to chime in here to mention something about the Cobra engines, while you're looking at cams. Keep in mind that the Cobra has 1.7 roller rockers from the factory, so the cam you choose should take that into consideration for piston to valve clearance issues and coil bind, unless you plan on purchasing the recommended ratio rocker arms for the cam you choose.

StangGT1995 said:
I wanted to chime in here to mention something about the Cobra engines, while you're looking at cams. Keep in mind that the Cobra has 1.7 roller rockers from the factory, so the cam you choose should take that into consideration for piston to valve clearance issues and coil bind, unless you plan on purchasing the recommended ratio rocker arms for the cam you choose.

so what kinda of cam are thinking that i should get? would it help me more to get differnet roller rockers when i go to get a cam?