30 seconds cold idle fixed ...

HighMileage

Aug 7, 2004
I definitely suspected the EGR spacer for which Ford created and updated part (I believe) a few years after 93. Well, I was planning on replacing that, except ...

I did recently clean the distributor, which naturally changed ignition timing a little. Rather than timing it the way I usually do, I just reduced the timing (counterclockwise) with engine not running.

This alone eliminated 90% of cold idle tremble during the first 30 seconds.
:nice:

I guess I've been running too advanced. :rolleyes:

Part throttle under load clicking is now completely gone, just smooth power delivery.
:)

• Sponsors (?)

wildstang87 said:
counterclockwise is advancing not retarding. if im wrong someone please correct me, but i just timed mine and this is how mine worked.

Other way around.

Highmileage, if you don't have a timing light, you don't know where you were or where you are now for timing. Pick one up for $50 if you plan on working on your own car ;)

Grn92LX said:
Other way around.

Highmileage, if you don't have a timing light, you don't know where you were or where you are now for timing. Pick one up for $50 if you plan on working on your own car ;)

Heh, heh ... you're right, I don't know where the timing was. Plus, I don't know where it is right now either. At one time I may have over advanced the timing and never noticed the clicks on acceleration. Acceleration doesn't feel as aggressive but cold idle is much better.