302,351 parts compatibility

i was looking into building a 347 stroker but now have dreams of a 408 stroker............my question is would building a 408 stroker be much more then doing the 408?......also what parts are compatible from a 302 to a 351?......cam?..heads?.....yada,yada,water pump etc.etc.........also would i need diff mounts?....anybody on the board or know of anybody with a nice 408 set up and what kinda power they running?

• Sponsors (?)

A lot of parts interchange. Not trying to be a dick, but use the search function. This is covered often, and there have been a few really good posts with all of the info. Water pump, timing cover, heads, cam, motor mounts, rockers, fuel rail (with a little bit of help), injectors, etc. will work. A 351w stroker or stock stroke can make loads of power, just depends on how it's set up.

The search function would be alot more helpful for this guy if we still had the 351w conversion sticky.

What happened to it?

I'll try to post something more helpful tomorrow at lunch.

jason

so would my edelbrock torker intake fit?........if i do build a 408 instead of a 347 my set up would prolly juast be this (using parts off my 306)

edelbrock torker intake
x-cam
holley 750dp
tw heads
fully forged stroker kit (most likely a eagle kit)
electric fan
msd 6al and blaster coil
msd distributor
nos nitrous kit (200 shot)
holley blue electric fuel pump

coreyhayman said:
so would my edelbrock torker intake fit?........if i do build a 408 instead of a 347 my set up would prolly juast be this (using parts off my 306)

edelbrock torker intake
x-cam
holley 750dp
tw heads
fully forged stroker kit (most likely a eagle kit)
electric fan
msd 6al and blaster coil
msd distributor
nos nitrous kit (200 shot)
holley blue electric fuel pump

The rule still applies....306 parts on a 408 will make 306 power. You will gain SOME but nothing compared to what you could have if it had the right parts. Torque will be much better obviously but it still wont run like its capable.

The one good thing is that you will have a very strong foundation to build up from in the future.

Here is what I can remember right now

302 intake, oil pan, oil pump will not bolt to 351

Engine mounts are the same, but drop mounts are available which allow clearance of the taller 351 when using the stock hood.

Camshafts are virtaully the same, but double check the year of the 351 block because I could be wrong on this. Basically you need the correct firing order for your computer/engine and the right journal diameters. I think the 302 and 351w have always been the same though.

The timing covers and water pumps are the same.

Any 302 head will bolt to a 351W if the head bolt holes are drilled out. You will have to use the 351w head bolts.

The imbalance of the crank/damper/flywheel varies throughout the years. You can rebalance what you have most times, but things can get confusing here. Be sure to plan things out well.

If there is anything I missed let me know.
jason

ya i got a 4" cowl hood on the car now so i can use my mounts iv got in it now......i was going to build a 347 stroker but if i can get a 351w block then i might as well do a 408, stronger block and will make more power in the long run once i slowly upgrade my parts....also looks to be pretty much the same price to build....oh also does the dizzy fit?.......my cars a carbed 306 btw

coreyhayman said:
oh also does the dizzy fit?.......my cars a carbed 306 btw

Nope. You can get one from the parts store for a 96 F-250 with the 351. They are cheap at $45 bucks but i think its a $60 core charge. Or just find a junk yard with one and run it...or just use it as your core. The F-250 dizzy has a steel gear on it already where most others are iron or something.

The dizzy is taller for the 351.

nmcgrawj said:
Nope. You cant get one from the parts store for a 96 F-250 with the 351. They are cheap at $45 bucks but i think its a $60 core charge. Or just find a junk yard with one and run it...or just use it as your core. The F-250 dizzy has a steel gear on it already where most others are iron or something.

The dizzy is taller for the 351.

If the core is extremely high consider giving them the 302 dist as the core, since you won't be needing it. The guys working the parts counter won't know the dif. unless you tell them. Even if they do, they most likely won't care enough to look.

nmcgrawj said:
The rule still applies....306 parts on a 408 will make 306 power. You will gain SOME but nothing compared to what you could have if it had the right parts. Torque will be much better obviously but it still wont run like its capable.

The one good thing is that you will have a very strong foundation to build up from in the future.

He is not going for all power right now...he is wondering if the parts will swap over. Build foundation first - finish it right later. That comes into play in this case and his question.

5spd GT said:
He is not going for all power right now...he is wondering if the parts will swap over. Build foundation first - finish it right later. That comes into play in this case and his question.

Ummmm ok. The rule still applies just so he knew what he was doing and what he would get out of it. :nice:

And i just re-read it:
coreyhayman said:
....anybody on the board or know of anybody with a nice 408 set up and what kinda power they running?

So he was asking for power made by a 408 so i see no reason not to tell him about the power from the parts he was thinking about using.

Ah David, are you a smart ass ALL the time? Or just once in a while :shrug:

It is my part-time job to be sarcastic/smart alike...:)

He is wondering if they will swap over from what I understood...:shrug: I interpreted it differently (sounds familiar)...cough cough street car/daily driver cough cough:p

Tell me about the D-pipe...I haven't heard of it yet... :nice:

5spd GT said:
It is my part-time job to be sarcastic/smart alike...:)

He is wondering if they will swap over from what I understood...:shrug: I interpreted it differently (sounds familiar)...cough cough street car/daily driver cough cough:p

Tell me about the D-pipe...I haven't heard of it yet... :nice:

Do you ever stop? You are carrying this annoying bickering into 3 threads? Arent you sick of it?

And if you are really serious about the d-pipe...here is a picture of the cross over section...

3_1024.ts1118450595437.jpg

This is the small slit that shows where the two exhaust paths equalize pressure but do not interupt flow nor does the cross section size change like on a lot, if not all, x pipes.
6_1024.ts1118450595531.jpg

Wow Nate, you took that a bit the wrong way. I was poking fun at it (smilies) and then saying "I interpreted the question differently". So I thought I had that down...and yes I was being serious about the d-pipe.

Just remember it takes two to argue/debate/agree.

Subscribing to thread. 351 and 302 parts are mostly interchangeable from what I understand. I could run a search on t/c but since I have other questions anyways what the hell.
What about a T/C?? Are they interchangeable?
What about the computer? The firing order would have to be the same I assume?
Also if heads/cam/intake/etc are interchangeable and you want power now (don't want to wait for block) couldn't you upgrade your heads/cam now with 351 parts and put them on the 302? I'm guessing a 351 intake would cause driveability problems, but am thinking the 351 heads and cam would work if the lower end was fresh?? I have less than 1500 miles on my fresh stock 302 rebuild, and have no intentions of dropping in a new engine for quite sometime but am thinking about buying a T/C and H/C/I combo sometime next year. Would be nice if I found a 351 for cheap in 3-4 years and just be able to swap all these 351 parts on to the new block. This is still a ways out just thought since the opportunity arose, I'd go ahead and ask.

How many 351 blocks have the same firing order as our 302s? Are they readily available and at what price for a used shortblock? Would be stroked to a 408---I really like that idea.
oh what the hell--What about accessories? would they bolt right up?