302 heads on a 408?

ive already posted something about this before.
My friend Kyle is building a 408 for his 95 GT like i said before.
He is looking for some heads, he doesn't really have alot of money
to spend on them, i didn't know if my heads off my 306 would work?
Something about the bolt holes not being large or to large, but i was wondering more about the flow stats, would they be big enough to support the 393 with a Trick Flow stage III cam? They've been completely ported on intake and exhaust side, etc. 2.02 intake 1.60 exhaust, they're 71' closed chamber heads, i think they're 58cc not sure A38's. But are the ports just to modest to begin with? even with the port job on them i dont think they'll support his engine but i was just asking to make sure.

• Sponsors (?)

What is the difference between the 351 head and the 302 head?
I thought they were the same.

I ran my stock 302 E7s on the 351w for several months. Not much power in those heads. The 408w will be asthmatic with stock heads.

jason

Asthmatic is an understatement for those heads. A 408 needs a lot more air than a 302, about 30% more just as a beginning.

Find a set of aftermarket heads. Save up for them. Trade, barter whatever, just don't waste the time on 302 heads

i was thinking they were a little small, but when i looked up the flow numbers for the 351 and 302 heads, they're pretty much the same. I mean, the heads are mine and im getting ready to do a 393 build up and i dont need them and he offered me $300 for them as they are. They're a little big for my 306 with all the port work they have done to them, the guy i got them from had them on a 347. We already knew about the bolt hole prob. But i just told him i thought they would choke his engine down in a little bit, theyre definatly not stock heads, the intake runners a good bit larger than the E7's, and as i said they have bigger valves installed. But i still dont think theyre good enough with a Trick Flow Stage III cam. the casting number on them is A38, i was told theyre off a 1971 Maverick by the guy i got them off from.