302 non HO block....Will it work?

dvsmike

Jan 2, 2003
Chicago il
I have a chance to get an entire 302 motor w/trans out of an 88 lincoln TC for 200$. The motor still runs good but the body is trashed. I dont think it is an HO motor. I have heard that a non HO is not the same firing order, intake etc. I only want it for the block so I can rebuild the short block (install all new internals) and swap it out with the one in my stang. Can this be done and will all my parts change over easily? Will I have the same outcome as if it were an HO motor?

• Sponsors (?)

Aren't all 302's past 87 or 86 roller cam? I think the difference here is that it may not have the E7 heads, different cam (firing order), different upper intake.

They're zeroing in on it - HO or not, you need to be certain you're getting a roller block. Have them pull the intake so you can see if the spyder/dogbones are present. That's a roller and all your stuff should transfer over - your cam/efi/dist. set up will determine the firing order; won't matter whats on the short block. DO NOT rely on info that says a certain year/model should have a certain block - have the seller pull the intake to confirm it. You don't need the intake anyway....

This doesnt really help the subject, but it's related..

Couldnt you just rebuild a non HO motor with an HO style crank and distributor for the HO firing order? Like say, if it's a roller block just like a typical HO, are there any other differences block wise?

HO & Non HO blocks are interchangeable, and Cranks are both the same (casting number: 2MAE). Cam (and computer on SEFI applications) determine the firing order.

HO block casting numbers post 86':E6SE-BA, E5AE-C3B, E7TE-CA, E7TE-EA

Non-HO block casting numbers post 86':E6SE-AA, E5TE-CA, E7TE-PA, E5TE-CA

85SS - in the different 302's, the crank doesn't determine the firing order - the valve timing (camshaft) does. And, of course, the correct order of distributor wiring assures that a spark hits the right cylinder at the right time - but that wiring is matched up with the camshaft. The computer also sequences the injectors to match a particular order -- although folks often find that the engine will run (but not the most efficiently) when the ecu's firing order doesn't match the camshaft.

dvsmike - read my post up above - the xxx and yyy you're referring to are the spyder and dogbones which keep the lifters from rotating in their bores. That's why I suggested pulling the intake to check for their presence.