302 to 351 swap (302 efi - 351 carb'd or efi?)

charlesw6954

Founding Member
May 3, 2002
Mo
i am starting a new and better paying job in february. i have found a 351 windsor motor pretty cheap. its knocking but thats fixable. i would like to just throw on an intake, carb, holley blue fuel pump, and replace what needs fixing. mostly because i just love carb. i know switching my 302 efi to carb would just loose torque. so i just want to get a bigger cubed engine and throw on a carb.

i know i have to replace the oil pan. would i have to replace the motor mounts? anything else that would need replacing? i doubt my aftermarket headers on my 302 would fit on the 351, but owell i got a reason to throw on some l/t's.

im not expecting to get the 351 in the car asap. i just want to have some fun building it up. if i did do it carb'd i would have a holley carb (what cfm?), edelbrock victor jr intake manifold.

the ****ty part about this is the transmission. i blew the stock t-5 and had no money to buy another stock t-5. so i found a 4 cyclinder t-5 that since today shifts so fing nice. i paid only 75 bucks (also had to replace the clutch). so the torque of the 351 would just kill the tranny unless i went really easy.

as of right now i have no aftermarket suspension. the stock suspension has just been too great for me so i have had no desire to go aftermarket.

• Sponsors (?)

Not to burst your bubble, but unless you really plan on building up the 351 (heads, cam, intake/carb), don't waste your time. The 302 in your car has more potential as it sits than a 351W you pulled out of a '75 country squire wagon. Most 351W engines you find will have ****ty stock heads that are barely adequate on a 302 and have a cam to match.

That's all fine and good, but you might want to do a little research on the topic before you run out and buy and begin building a motor. What do you plan to run for a tranny? You may be happy with your current suspension as it sits, but you probably won't be when you drop a heaver engine into the car.
Unless you are leaning towards an all out drag application, you might want to rethink what you're doing. There's a good reason that 95% of the people on this forum or better have stuck with the 5.0L engine.

hey now, 351w have tons of potental and the dont weigh "that" much more. Plus talk about torque, try stroking a 5.8 to over 400 cubes. nothing like a 6.5 liter engine under your hood. Plus if it was carburated, shiiiiiiit watch out.

Drew

NKau said:
Not to burst your bubble, but unless you really plan on building up the 351 (heads, cam, intake/carb), don't waste your time. The 302 in your car has more potential as it sits than a 351W you pulled out of a '75 country squire wagon. Most 351W engines you find will have ****ty stock heads that are barely adequate on a 302 and have a cam to match.

The 351W has MUCH more potential than a 302. Don't worry about your suspension, replace it down the road as it wears out. Yes you will need good heads to make good power but thats true for any motor. A t5 will work if you baby it but before you put that motor in you may want to start pricing some tremec's. Your 302 headers will not work.

Heres a link that should help with what you will need for the swap.

http://home.globalcrossing.net/~lsh/351swap/351parts.htm

i have researched getting a 351 in my old 84 mustang, but with my 89 its different because its efi. yea i dont really see how a 351 could be that much heavier but it is. i plan on wanting to get a very tough tko.

before i get the 351 up and running i will start to add aftermarket suspension

It is not that difficult to go from an efi setup to a carb setup, also long as your suspension is not worn out from high mileage I wouldnt worry about it too much unless its just something that you want to do. And I do not remember exactly how much heavier a 351 is but it is not that much more than a 302. Maybe 100-200 pound difference.

noo way a 351 weighs 200 pounds more, not even 150 pounds more. My dad and i picked it up and walked it to the backyard and into the shed pretty easily. I seriously would guess MAXIMUM 100 pounds more than a 302, i had a 94 roller block 5.8. If it was 150 pounds more then i dont think we would have been able to carry it, no way.

thanks,

Drew