306 Engine. Ford Racing Engine Kit. H/C/I

MustangOwner

Banned
Dec 13, 2006
I was just wondering how good this setup is? That main reason i ask is because if i go with that setup i would just replace the upper intake manifold with a kenne bell supercharger after awhile. Are those heads good for supercharged applications? I will also be running the other usual upgrades, 75mm TB, 80mm MAF Meter, 42 lb injects, 255 lph fuel pump, water pump, 6G alt upgrade, Fuel rails, radiator, and electric fan. Is there anything else i would need? I want to do this right the first time. And i would also make the stock block a 306. It only has 80K on it and has never seen the track. Would the FRPP engine kit work well with the 306? along with the kennebell? I'm looking for #'s in the 400's and i feel that setup is worthy with a good tune. Thanks for any help.

• Sponsors (?)

I always read that a 306 is really a waste of money, that it doesn't really give you any more power than you can get out of a well built 302. So I am curious to see what the more experienced guys have to say.

you could get 400+ with a Trick Flow top end kit on a 347 or 331 and those heads are much better than the gt40x. I couldnt find the FRPP engine kit but im sure its not much cheaper, if any than the trick kit, and the trick flow is way better.

Trick flow isn't some God like you all make it out to be. Everyone puts them up on some ridiculous pedestal. The TW heads may be better, but it's not like there is some enormous difference between X heads and TW heads.

You'll have plenty of fun with a B (or E) cam, X heads, 1.7 rockers, and the cobra intake. You might make a few less HP than the TW kit, but who cares. Just make sure you call Ford and get the baffle for the Cobra intake.

hey i never mentioned anything about god, i just stated that they were better. I also informed him that he he can reach his goals using the trick flow kit without spending loads of cash on a KB. Im not trying to crush his hope and dreams or anything, im just trying to save him some money.

I always read that a 306 is really a waste of money, that it doesn't really give you any more power than you can get out of a well built 302. So I am curious to see what the more experienced guys have to say.

For me I went with the 306 because of cost. I know its not going to give me any more power, and to be honest I just want a fun streetable car and not for all out racing. I don't think anyone goes with the 306 for increased power. Total cost was around 400 bucks for forged aluminum pistons, rings, wrist pins, and block bored over + labor and tax. I don't think that was such a bad deal :shrug: If I were to do a stroker kit I'd want forged everything which dramatically increases the price of things.

Are you serious? How does an entire stroker kit cost the same amount as a set of pistons required after boring the block 30 over?

Iam sorry man for the way my post sounded. It does look ridiculous the way it sounds. I was leaning towards purchasing a short block assembly. Its worth it that way imo to upgrade for a few bucks.

For me I went with the 306 because of cost. I know its not going to give me any more power, and to be honest I just want a fun streetable car and not for all out racing. I don't think anyone goes with the 306 for increased power. Total cost was around 400 bucks for forged aluminum pistons, rings, wrist pins, and block bored over + labor and tax. I don't think that was such a bad deal :shrug: If I were to do a stroker kit I'd want forged everything which dramatically increases the price of things.

Then why do people even bother to do it? I really don't get the whole idea of going 306, it yields no performance advantage, but costs more than just rebuilding a 302. If I was going to bother having a 302 bored over, I would go further than just 306.

hah nobodys answered my question about how good the setup is? Just fighting over the 306 lol. My neighbor has a 306 with all trick flow and a nov1 2000 and the usual others and hes putting out 525 rwhp on 12 lbs boost. Sounds good to me. I want a 306.