315/35/20 Tires - Any problems with suspension?

ApexStang

Dec 19, 2002
Apex, NC
Happy Monday Morning StangNet. I have a question regarding a tire combo I'm seriously looking at and worried about the suspension travel and fitment with a 315/35/20 Rear tire.

The stock Diameter is 27.25 and the new 28.68 inches. That is a increase of 1.43 inches in the overall rear diameter.

Will I have any problems with rubbing?
Any problems installing a 1.5" drop then rubbing?
Any problems with the addition of a Adjustable Pan Hard Bar?

I really would like to do it the right way and unfortunately I have little knowledge of suspension travel. If anyone has this size tire and can comment, that would be great. Thanks!

Eric

• Sponsors (?)

I have a 295/35/18 on the rear of the vehicle.

The sidewall of the tire is a mere 1/8" from the outside of the fener, and the inside is about 1/4"-1/2" from the strut. The rims are modified stock 18" Bullitt's, that were widened from 8.5" to 10.5". The vehicle is also lowered roughly 2.75"-3.00".

The tire I have on there now barely fits, and I don't see how the width of a 315 tire would fit.

If my Mustang wasn't lowered, the rim/tire would rub the strut or the snubber pad. The snubber pad is that chunck of metal that's above the rear bump stop. In fact, when I raise the rear of the vehicle, the wheels rub the snubber pad. Other's have had to weld/cut or hammer the pad to prevent it from rubbing. Lowering it also helps.

If you installed a wide enough spacer, you could fit the tire/wheel, but you would certainly extend past the fender well to do so.

So 295 is really all the width we should go then on the stang?

I would definitely wait and see if someone has done it. I only speak from personal experience with my wheel/tire/suspension combo.

I did a lot of searching on this and other forums, I suggest you do the same, since you might find someone who's accomplished a 315 fit.

Just a side note, but from my experience, the two tire shops I went to were not going to let me return a tire that they special ordered or actually put on the rim, even for a test fit. So, take that into consideration.

What brand tire is it? I know Nittos run smaller than other tires of the same size. It is important to get the exact size from the manufacturer to truely know what you're dealing with. tirerack.com is pretty detailed in their listings, but some are listed as N/A:shrug:
My Nitto 295/45-18s fit fine on the 10" wheel with stock parts. I have plenty of room both with the fender lip and suspension. I don't see why I couldn't go another 1"(.5" to each side")wider on the tire width.

undersideofshockfromrear01.jpg

undersidefromfront.jpg

Attachments

• undersideofshockfromrear01.jpg
    undersideofshockfromrear01.jpg
    124.9 KB · Views: 171
  • undersidefromfront.jpg
    undersidefromfront.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 123
If the 315's prove to be too wide, there's plenty of guys rolling 305's with no problems. Just thought I'd throw another option in for ya.

edit: Actually now that I think about it....the 305's were on 18". Not sure about availabilty for 20s...the 295's might be the ticket.

Apex: This size has worked on new 05+ Saleen's, using stock Saleen 10" wheels. Pirelli P-zero Nero's tires. I ran this size on my 2nd set of tires, but at $917.00 for 2 tires they where just way to pricey! Repost in Saleen sections and you should get more info.