331 heads/combo emissions legal?

My garage has recently become home to a DSS 331 short block (9.2:1 w/ 60cc). I want to pass the WA state sniffer and still push over 300rwhp n/a in my coupe.

Here are the parts I've acquired that are stashed in the garage and plan on mounting to this block ....... however I need help/input on selecting the right heads/injectors etc. to accomplish my goals:

'E' cam - GT40 Intake - Ford 65tb - Comp 1.6rr - FR190fp - BBK 1-5/8 longs - BBK short cat'd X - BBK CAI

Please help me deside on heads and injector size to match a planned 75mm maf ...... if anyone has ideas that will make this thing perform well and still pass emissions your help is greatly appreciated.

Ps - a suggested change in any of the above parts is ok, but this thing has to have street manners and still blow through the test ok .... gotta make over 300 horses or I've wasted a good stroker as well. (I've heard 24lb are only good to 290rwhp :shrug: )

Thanks,
Guy pulling his hair out to deside.

• Sponsors (?)

while i'm new to the efi world i have heard the stock injectors are good to almost 300, albeit probably fly wheel 300, never the less i'd think 24lbs would be ok........although i'm sure i'll be scolded severly if i'm wrong....lol....is the e cam listed as smog legal???

The cam should be selected last - finalize your head decision, then pick the cam. With AFR165's and cam designed by one of the custom designers, you should be able to achieve a drivable, sniffer passing 300HP. 24's should be plenty on the injector side. While the E cam has a CARB number, it's designed to be emissions legal with 302 cubes -- it will behave differently in a 331. I'm not suggesting it won't pass the sniffer - just that one of the custom cam makers can do much better than that at bridging the gap between performance and emissions for you. You've spent good $ on the stroker - don't leave the cam to chance. Get a pro to model your set up after you've got all the other components selected.

Michael Yount said:
The cam should be selected last - finalize your head decision, then pick the cam. With AFR165's and cam designed by one of the custom designers, you should be able to achieve a drivable, sniffer passing 300HP. 24's should be plenty on the injector side. While the E cam has a CARB number, it's designed to be emissions legal with 302 cubes -- it will behave differently in a 331. I'm not suggesting it won't pass the sniffer - just that one of the custom cam makers can do much better than that at bridging the gap between performance and emissions for you. You've spent good $ on the stroker - don't leave the cam to chance. Get a pro to model your set up after you've got all the other components selected.

Yeah I got a good deal on the "E" cam, just I figured since the 331 pulls more vacuum the cam would better itself at idle? And figured it'd still pass the sniff? Any suggestion on heads :shrug: